Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Hand-me-down

Today’s Reading: John 19:23 (NIV)

23 When the soldiers crucified Jesus, they took His clothes, dividing them into four shares, one for each of them, with the undergarment remaining. This garment was seamless, woven in one piece from top to bottom.

Good morning!

How does it make you feel when you put on something new to wear? I remember taking my children to the store to shop for school clothes and tennis shoes. They enjoyed getting new things. Yet, many of their favorite clothing items were hand-me-downs, from family and friends. Sometimes that gift meant more than anything we could purchase at the store.

Hand-me-downs are precious treasures in our family. My sister and I shared a small closet and many of our clothes came from cousins and neighbors on the block. We didn’t have a lot of extra money to shop. It was always such a treat to receive a gift of a gently used piece of clothing. I admired many of the older girls on the street where we grew up. I looked up to them, and when they gave me their hand-me-downs, I felt really special and blessed. It remains a precious treasure to me.

A few weeks ago, my mother gave me a sweater vest. Whenever I put it on, I think of her and the love that she for me. I think of the kind of person she is, and how I would like to be more like her each day. Her simple gift reminds me that she is praying for me, and thinks about me and my family often. I wouldn’t trade that sweater vest for anything.

The Romans had crucified the Savior. As He suffered there on the cross, they divided his clothing between them. Did they realize the amazing gift He was giving to them? I wonder what it felt like when they put His garment on for the very first time. The Romans thought they were taking something from Him; they did not realize that the gift had been freely given. Could they somehow sense Christ’s mercy and grace in the fabric of His garment?

The Lord clothes each of us in His righteousness alone, and it is this love that we wear into the world each day. What a gift of grace! May you wear the Father’s hand-me down with great joy! We serve an awesome God.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2009, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: