Wednesday, February 04, 2009

The game of life

Today’s Reading: John 19:24 (NIV)

24 “Let’s not tear it,” they said to one another. “Let’s decide by lot who will get it.” This happened that the scripture might be fulfilled which said, “They divided my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing.” So this is what the soldiers did.

Good morning!

Humans have a strange way of thinking. It seems totally ironic and out of character that those brutal, greedy Roman soldiers cared about Jesus’ garment not to want to tear its fabric. It was okay to shred the Master’s flesh but not to rip his robe into pieces! One lucky guy would get the whole cloak to himself, simply by casting lots. Obviously, winning the lottery was a popular game to play even then.

Why do we care so little for people and so much for things? I wonder why we would choose to invest the bulk of our money in nice cars, furniture, big homes, and fine wardrobes, and give our leftover nickels and dimes to help others. Shouldn’t we care more about the people who are struggling to survive than collecting a lot of earthly toys that does no one any good at all?

We seem so casual and careless with our cutting words. One harsh word can rip another heart to shreds and the pain we cause somehow seems trivial in our minds. We devour each other, caring more about own selfish ways than we do for each other. When will we realize that the game of life is not a game at all? We need to stop gambling with human souls and see the urgency rising around us.

The soldiers were having a great time underneath the cross. They were paying no attention to the agony of the One hanging above their heads. As they played their little game, Christ’s blood was dripping down on them. They were covered in His blood but were oblivious to the significance of what this meant.

Jesus, forgive me for not fully understanding the sacrifice you made to save me. Help me think before I speak. Open my eyes; let me see and compare the truth of your heart to my selfish lifestyle. Teach me how to care more for those around me than I care for myself. Forgive me for crucifying you every single time I speak a hateful word, when I show complacency toward my brother and choose greed and gain over giving, caring and sharing. Thank you, Jesus, for dying for me while I was yet a sinner. Amen.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2009, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: