Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Way Home

Today’s Reading: John 17:24 (NIV)

24 [Jesus said,] “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.”

Good morning!

Because I am rapidly approaching a milestone birthday, I find myself reminiscing a lot about the road I’ve traveled. I’ve learned a lot, missed a few turns, gotten sidetracked, and I confess I've broken the rules of the road. I continue to learn valuable life lessons from the mistakes I’ve made along the way; realizing that the second half of my earthly journey is truly a gift of God's grace, I must take what I’ve learned thus far and apply it as I continue my journey home. Jesus Christ has given me a future with great hope! I have an opportunity each new day to share Christ’s love with the world around me. One day, life as I know it will fade away, when I am physically, emotionally and spiritually regenerated from this world into life everlasting. With every journey, there is an ultimate destination. When we take a vacation or a day's excursion, we look forward to going home, because, there is no place like home. Jesus Christ is my only refuge; I know that He is my home.

Last night during New Testament class, we were listening to a reading from the Gospel, when Jesus replied to a point of privilege made by James and John. They asked Jesus if He would place them at His left and right in glory. Every time I read this Scripture, I am surprised, not only by the attitude and thought processes of these two disciples, but the response that Jesus gives. I whispered to another student that I had personally asked the Lord to reserve a bleacher seat for me on the back row of heaven. I know if I can just see His face and experience His holy presence, this is all I would ever need or long for in heaven. In the first fifty years of my life, I have failed the Lord more times than I can count. The cup He chose to bear for my sin is a cup I’ve often tossed aside out of selfishness and pride. There is nothing glorious within me; except the glory of Christ alone. He covers my sin with His blood. Simply being with Him and reveling in His glory alone is the greatest miracle I will ever experience, for I know it is not the reward I have earned or deserve. This is my understanding of what amazing grace means.

Jesus prayed that His people would be where He is, so that we could experience His glory together, forever! And it is in Christ’s glory that we will know and experience the Father’s perfect love. Jesus came to bring us home. This makes our journey worthwhile.

Do you know The Way home?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: