Thursday, November 20, 2008

Time-out!

Today’s Reading: John 17:25-26 (NIV)

25 [Jesus said,] “Righteous Father, though the world does not know yet, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. 26 I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.”

Good morning!

Throughout the Gospel, we see Jesus taking a break from the crowds and His disciples, just to spend some much needed time away with the Father in holy conversation. The Father’s love for His Son and the Son’s love and obedience to the Father is uncanny. One can see this strong chord of life flowing between the two of them. Have you ever wondered what Jesus and the Father spoke about during their time-away?

Time away is something all of us look forward to. We need to take a break from the busyness and business of our lives for rest, reflection, and recreation. Vacations are never long enough; the time seems to fly quickly by over the holidays. We look forward to the weekend, and anticipate moments spent away from our daily routine. Sometimes, a time-out is best experienced soaking in a candlelight bubble bath, with a good book and some soft music, or maybe out in the middle of woods, where all you hear is the crackling of the leaves crumbling beneath your feet.

Time-outs are often taken on the football field, before fourth down and goal. Children are sent to time-out when they can no longer sit still and listen. Sometimes, we all need to take a little time-out just to refocus our energies and priorities on what is most important in life. Time-out can be a rich blessing; a sweet surprise!

Knowing that Christ spent his time away praying for someone like me is a sweet term of endearment. Jesus prays for me! He knows me by name, and He loves me in spite of the times I chose to live life my way instead of His Way. Jesus cares so much for me that He asked the Father to continually make me aware of His holy presence each day. Jesus does not want me to face time-out all alone. He loves you and me this much, that He would set precious time aside to pray for each of us by name.

Do you need to take a time-out today with the Lord? Jesus is waiting to hear from you. The Father’s arms are opened wide, waiting to receive your praise, thanksgiving, and every care you hold deep within your heart. Take a holy time-out with the Lord. You’ll be glad you did.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: