Monday, November 03, 2008

Giving glory to the Lord

Today’s Reading: John 17:4-5 (NIV)

4 [Jesus said,] “I glorified you on earth by finishing the work that you gave me to do. 5 So now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had in your presence before the world existed.”

Good morning!

How do we give glory to the Lord we love?

Most weekends are busy, but this weekend was crazy busy. Our grandchildren dressed up in colorful costumes and came to visit Granny Deb and Pa on Thursday evening. Two year old Madison was our sweet pumpkin princess; the prettiest princess ever! Eight year old Jett enjoyed jumping and running in his Batman cape and mask. He scared me half to death as I lifted a hot crock of potatoes from the stove to the counter for our dinner buffet. Jett snuck up behind me and yelled, “Boo!” Fortunately, I didn’t drop the hot dish in my hands; I’m certain it was God’s grace protecting all of us in that moment. Joshua made a fine Darth Vader; I didn’t recognize his sweet face behind the mask. Younger brother Andrew, only eighteen months old, was a Yoda cutie! His goofy smile and silent tongue seemed to fit with Yoda’s personality as he waddled back and forth across our living room in his long, brown robe. The boys posed for their pictures in front of the fireplace, each with a light saber in their hands. I’m not sure Andrew knew exactly what to make of all the fuss, but he certainly enjoyed the attention he received. Our Emily was a beautiful princess bride. She wore sparkly jewels and glitter all over her face; her hair piled on top of her head in a cute little French twist. She was a vision in her flowing white Ariel bridal gown. I love spending time with our family, especially in the fall, when we celebrate Jeff and David’s birthdays and hold our annual pumpkin party at the parsonage.

The fun didn’t stop there. On Saturday morning, Faith Church hosted its annual craft fair for the St. Charles community. I enjoy craft fairs because we celebrate the talents and creative genius of every vendor and volunteer. We sampled the cuisine of delicious homemade soups and breads, enjoying a variety sweet homemade cookies, brownies and chocolate desserts. Tiny treasures were purchased; new friendships were formed, and folks simply enjoyed spending time with each other. The craft fair is a lot of work and it takes an entire village to pull it off. Yet, I find it is always worth the extraordinary effort.

Sunday was a morning filled with Worship and Word. We celebrated Holy Communion together; it is my favorite part of worship each week. I enjoy greeting my Faith family in the receiving line after worship. I met some new folks who worshipped with us, and had the opportunity to greet friends whom I have known for many years. Our family gathered together for Sunday lunch; all four generations enjoying time together around the table and out in our back yard. We held our first Spaulding Soccer camp for the grandbabies, a brand new tradition! It was one amazing afternoon!

Christ-like love is best expressed in the way we choose to lend our time and talents for each other. I saw the risen Christ living large in so many beautiful hearts this weekend. Thank you, for giving glory and honor to the Lord by the way you choose to share His love with the world around you.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: