Thursday, November 06, 2008

Deep thoughts

Today’s Reading: John 17:10a (NIV)

10a [Jesus said,] “All I have is yours, and all you have is mine.”

Good morning!

One thing I’ve learned about myself this quarter cluster is that I am NOT a deep thinker. It seems I have been born simple minded. After reading and discussing the deep thoughts of some of the most famous religious philosophers of all time, I truly believe the Lord must have given them bigger brains. I would guess that their IQ was off the charts. I grew up next door to a boy named Tommy who was truly a child genius. He would come by my house every Saturday and get his kicks by beating me at chess in three moves or less, and then he would rub it in by asking me complicated mathematical problems. Of course, he already had the answers in his head. Tommy was so smart that he seemed to not have a lot of common sense. How I wish I could have been a little more like Tommy, especially on a day like today.

I am thankful that even with my simple mind, God has given me the ability to understand and know just how much He loves me. His words to the Father are my words to Him. Jesus knew that everything He is and all that He has is the Father’s, and everything the Father is and all that He has belongs to Jesus. They share every aspect of who they are with whose they are. This is exactly how I feel about the love of my Lord.

I don’t have to understand the secrets of the universe to experience a personal and intimate relationship with the Master Creator. Christ’s brilliance is far beyond anything I could even begin to comprehend. I’m satisfied simply being in His presence each day, knowing that all that I am, and the gifts I have to offer, are given back to the One who gave them to me in the first place. I am wholly His. No matter where I go or what I do, or how much I am able to learn and achieve; all that I am I offer back to the Master. I am His.

He is mine. If there is any good in me at all, it is because of the love of Jesus Christ that courses through my veins. He is my heartbeat, my One true love, the bridegroom that I long for; He is the salvation of my soul. Jesus is my Lord and Savior. He takes my sin and covers it with His blood. Because of Christ’s love for me, I can love others through Him! I whisper His name and immediately He is near. Jesus is with me every minute of every day. I am never alone. I am loved. I will live in the light of His love forever.

Yes, I may be simple-minded; but I know that Jesus Christ loves me. I wonder if all those deep thinkers throughout human history found the One they were seeking, as they wrote their dissertations on the nature and character of God. If God is the author of all thought, then whose thoughts are we expressing? Are they ours or His? Even the most brilliant theodicy pales in stark contrast to the wonder and glory of our Lord.

It is my prayer that you will know who you are and whose you are in Jesus Christ.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: