Monday, September 15, 2008

The Top 5

Today’s Reading: John 15:23 (NIV)

23 [Jesus said,] “He who hates me hates my Father as well.

Good morning!

How do we hate God? I’ve been asking myself this question for awhile now. The Lord has been speaking through the pastors’ Sunday messages on prayer, and yesterday, during the rain storm, the answer became very clear to my heart. We may say we love Jesus, but it is only through obedience that we demonstrate real love for our Lord. How do I convey real love to the One who saves me? I believe that the opposite of hate is obedience through Christ-like love.

One of my favorite television game shows is Family Feud. I like watching how different family members would answer a “top five” question, just to see if their choices were in agreement with each other and the results of the popular poll. I began to make a list of the top five things I would give back to God. I wonder if your list will match mine:

  1. The first ten minutes of each new morning, spent in prayer, thanking Jesus for saving me and giving me yet another day to serve and love Him by loving the ones He has placed in my path.

  1. The first ten percent of my income, as a love offering to the Lord. There is a lot of need today, and if every human heart would willingly and joyfully share the first fruits of our monetary income, together we could make an amazing difference in our world.

  1. A tenth of my week wholly devoted to helping someone else. I’ve been given twenty-four hours a day, one hundred sixty eight hours each week to live. If I willingly donated 16.8 hours to someone else, by investing in relationships, providing for needs, and simply being a good neighbor and friend, the quality of our lives together would be enriched immeasurably.

  1. Setting aside the first day of each week to worship and honor the Lord with my life. Starting each new week by celebrating Christ’s love in community is one of the greatest blessings we have received. Don’t miss out on a minute of it!

And the number one answer is:

  1. A tenth of each day spent in prayer and Bible study. How will I know what the Father wants me to do if I don’t take time to read His Book? In one 24-hour period, how much time do I waste on the unnecessary? Can I not find 2 hours to spend with the Lord?

What is your top 5? Remembering that all we have and all that we are is an undeserved, unmerited gift of favor from the Father through our Lord Jesus Christ. Do you love God? How will you choose to express your love for Him?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: