Thursday, September 18, 2008

Testify to love

Today’s Reading: John 15:26-27 (NIV)

26 [Jesus said,] “When the counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, He will testify about me. 27 And you also must testify, for you have been with me from the beginning.’

Good morning!

Imagine that when you opened this email message today, that you were issued a subpoena to give your personal testimony on behalf of the Lord Jesus Christ. What you say about the One who saves you? What life examples could you offer to defend Christ’s sovereignty to the world? Is there some irrefutable evidence that may persuade a judge and jury to hear the truth and act upon it? People’s lives depend upon your testimony. This is serious stuff and most folks don’t take it nearly as seriously as they should.

We romanticize the courtroom with the help of many popular television shows and movies. We listen to the well-written arguments offered by our favorite actors who portray the winning legal team, and we somehow equivocate this to reality. While there may be some similarities, one must actually experience what it is like to take the stand and give oral testimony in order to grasp the importance of this responsibility. Testifying to the Truth is the most important witness we will ever offer to the world today.

Several years ago, I was asked to give verbal testimony at trial on behalf of someone I love. At first, this responsibility seemed too hard, and I wanted to run from it. There were important points that needed to be made and my personal witness was critical to the outcome of this trial. Spoken words do not come easily for me, even though it may appear so on the printed page. I must have felt a little like Moses, when he needed his brother Aaron to speak to the Pharaoh on his behalf. I knew I needed heavenly help to speak the truth in love, with conviction, clarity and authority. I wanted someone greater than myself to intervene. The Lord has never left me alone and He will never forsake me. I have His Word on it. Jesus Christ presents His case through His compelling life’s witness. As promised, Jesus sent me His Counselor, straight from the Father’s heart to mine; He is the Spirit of all Truth and the living testimony by which I stand. When we willing to allow God’s voice to speak through us, especially when it is hard, the testimony which has stood for all generations, will be heard, interpreted and acted upon, even in our world today.

Christ calls us to testify on His behalf, from the moment we awake until we lay our heads back on the pillow at night. The things we say and do are our living testimony to the Truth. Standing up for Jesus may be the hardest, most difficult thing you have ever done. If you struggle with words and actions like I do, then I have some great news to share! We do not have to give our witness alone, and we shouldn’t try to do it by ourselves. Christ has promised us the help of His perfect counselor, the Spirit of all Truth, who will speak, help and guide us as we testify to Love.

It is time for you to take a stand and offer your personal testimony for Jesus Christ. Are you ready?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: