Friday, August 08, 2008

The total picture

Today’s Reading: John 14:19 (NIV)

[Jesus said], “Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live.”

Good morning!

What a great morning this is! August 8, 2008 (8.8.08) – this is the dawn of a brand new beginning! The month of August is filled with grand expectation. In the United States, children, youth and many adults leave summer vacation behind and prepare to return to school. I remember lying in bed the night before the first day of school with butterflies in my stomach, unable to sleep, so nervous about where I would go and if I could find my home room before the tardy bell rang. I wondered who I might meet, and whether I would like my teacher. Earlier this week, I took a walk across the campus of Lindenwood University with some my friends, four of whom I’ve known for quite awhile, and with others whom I had just met. Nestled right in the heart of St. Charles, Missouri, Lindenwood University is such a beautiful campus. There are lots of changes going on here. Between the new road way, expanded parking, new dorms and a new fine arts building which will all be open this semester, I realized with some sadness that this would be my last full year at the University as a student. I’ve grown to love this school, and I couldn’t help but wonder what this brand new year will hold. All of us are turning an important corner, not only in world history but in our own lives. Will your footsteps mark the places where you’ve walked? Where will this new beginning take you?

Jesus Christ is the most forward-thinking brother I know! The prophets of old were given glimpses of the future; the judges begged folks to obey the law, trusting it would carry them into the future with hope, and generations waited with anticipation for the coming of that hope – the promised One of God. My Jesus understands the past, present and future completely. He understands it because He is there from beginning to end. Christ didn’t just see mere glimpses - He is our total picture! Jesus came in human flesh at the request of His Father, so that all people would come to know and fall deeply in love with our eternal life-giver. Jesus came to put a face with a name, Jehovah-Jireh, Yahweh, Elohim, Emmanuel. He is the One we look forward to seeing with great anticipation.

How exciting and bewildering it must have been that night, as the disciples listened to their Master say, “Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live.” This is a brand new day. The sun is coming up just over the tree line in my subdivision and I can hear the birds singing songs of praise in my back yard. Who are you looking forward to meeting this morning? Are you excited about the days just ahead? Come and join me this morning, as we celebrate this new beginning together. We do not have to understand every aspect of the future - we only need to know the One who is our future. Have faith! His Word is true, you can count on it! We will see Him again. Are you ready?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: