Saturday, August 09, 2008

A blessing from above

Today’s Reading: John 14:20 (NIV)

[Jesus said], “On that day, you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.”

Good morning!

When I left home at the age of eighteen years, took a husband and moved to Texas, there were several significant people in my life whom I missed more than I can say. One of them was my piano teacher. I know that may sound a little strange to all of you, yet, I had spent years studying with Mrs. McClain each week. I trusted her direction and instruction, and she became a very important person in my life. Even when her voice was no longer physically present, I remembered her words of advice, encouragement and love. I knew no matter where I went, that I was carrying a very special part of her with me. Mrs. McClain was an awesome piano teacher, and I know that when I play the piano at church, I indirectly share a piece of who she is with every listener there. This became a double blessing, being young and seven hundred miles away from my family and friends. I knew I would not study with her again. Yet, to this day, I think of Mrs. McClain with a grateful heart every time I sit down and play the piano.

A dear friend made an uncanny observation this week, as we spoke on the telephone. He said, “When I read your writing, I notice that you often talk about the Holy Spirit being present everywhere you go. Do you think that maybe the reason the Holy Spirit is present everywhere you go is because He lives in your heart?” I laughed out loud! Of course, the Holy Spirit lives in me! The love of Christ surrounds me each day, in grace and mercy. The Spirit prompts me to share Jesus with others. Still, I had not realized the depth of how the Spirit reveals Himself. No matter where I find myself, there He is, right in middle of life. This is a true blessing from above to all who believe. Isn’t that awesome!

Close your eyes for a moment and imagine what it must have been like to have walked with the Lord Jesus Christ along the dirt roads in Galilee. You are His beloved disciple and He is coaching you in matters of faith. Think about His Word to you today, “One day [insert your name here], you will finally understand that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.”

I look toward that glorious day when I fully understand the power of Christ’s Word in this Scripture verse. One day, I will realize that Jesus in the Father and the Father is in Him, and He lives in me. What a great way to begin a whole new day, an awesome weekend, and a wonderful new life. Be especially blessed by these words flowing out from the heart of God just to you.

Today, I’m expecting a very special delivery: a piano to play at the parsonage! Thanks be to God!

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: