Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The gift of a lifetime

Today’s Reading: John 14:25-26 (NIV)

25 [Jesus said,] “All this I have spoken while still with you. 26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.”

Good morning!

Have you been praying for divine intervention for our brothers and sisters in the state of Florida? I was encouraged to see the news wire updates on tropical storm Fay this morning. Apparently, she never reached her predicted hurricane strength even after coming ashore. I am grateful for the Father’s provision, especially in the eye of the storm. We bear living testimony to the fires, floods, earthquakes, tornadoes and hurricanes that have ravaged our homeland in the last fifty years. Americans truly have a heart for people who suffer. We understand the grief in losing our own loved ones to the storms of life; being confronted with having to begin again. We rebuild our homes, businesses and entire communities together. This morning, I find myself extraordinarily grateful to the Lord that Fay never reached its predicted potential. We are seeing His miracle revealed and we have a lot to celebrate today!

Divine intervention is Christ’s promise to believers and we can count on it! Jesus told His disciples that His words would be remembered by the help of a counselor, the Holy Spirit, sent by the Father to teach us all things and remind us of His words. Have you ever experienced the sudden recollection of a story or experience that happened when you were a child? Every now and then, I remember something that happened, as if it were just yesterday, and it brings me great delight! The older I get, the more I struggle with memory retention, so when I am able to recall a piece of the past with clarity, I rejoice! This is a gift from above. It is the present of the Holy Spirit of God working within me, reminding me of Christ’s love and His Word spoken over my life. The Holy Spirit is our counselor, comforter, and an everlasting presence. He walks through life with us, teaching, convicting, and assuring the human heart of Christ’s love for the world. Wherever we are, He is. We are not alone.

I would have loved to have walked with the Lord when He walked the earth in flesh. The Holy Spirit gives me His assurance that even while I walk this road today, Jesus is right beside me. His presence is there to guide, heal, cleanse, forgive and redeem. I have His Word in front of me on printed page and protected deep within the recesses of my heart. At the right moment, Jesus reveals Himself in a story, a verse of Scripture, or a memory from long ago. Divine intervention is the gift of a lifetime!

The Holy Spirit is available to all who love Jesus Christ and profess Him as their Savior. If you have not yet experienced the Holy Spirit working in your life, ask Jesus to give you the power of the Spirit today. He will do it! It is His gift of a lifetime, given for you and for me. Be blessed!

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: