Friday, June 27, 2008

Overexposed!

Today’s Reading: John 13:10(NIV)

10 Jesus answered, “A person who has had a bath needs only to wash his feet; his whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you.

Good morning!

I saw an ophthalmologist this week for an eye exam. The physician’s assistant ran several preliminary tests, identifying the best corrective contact lens for my particular need. She placed special drops in my eyes and left me in the dark for a short time, while my pupils dilated. My doctor examined the circulatory system and my optic nerves. I was over-exposed and I knew it. The lights were excruciatingly bright. The magnifiers he placed in front of my eyes enhanced the brightness as I blinked back tears. Even though the examination was painful, the end result was certainly worth it. I received the good news that my optic nerves look healthy and pink.

Have you ever allowed yourself to become completely vulnerable to a soul searching by the Master? It can be quite painful, although the end result is worth the cost. Every human heart has a spiritual condition measured in the depths of our hearts. Like the ravages of an overload of sugar in our blood stream, unrepentant sin in our lives can slowly build up and begin to eat away at our ability to see clearly, think rationally, and act responsibly. If we do not allow the Master healer an opportunity to dilate, expose and examine the recesses of our hearts, we cannot become completely clean before Him. It is kind of like taking a sponge bath: once we’ve showered, we may only need to wash our feet to rid ourselves of the unwanted dirt on our bodies. But there are days when we must submit ourselves to a total cleansing, to rid ourselves of the dirt in our lives, both seen and unseen.

Jesus said, “The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light.” Leaving the doctor’s office that afternoon, I was acutely aware of the bright sunlight pressing through my eyes and into the recesses of my heart. I was overexposed; my eyes unable to readjust to the bright light of day. I just wanted to go home, and I knew if I was going to get there, I would need the Master’s help. In this moment, I chose to completely depend upon the Lord to be my personal chauffeur and guide.

All of us long to get home. The road trip requires that we submit ourselves to overexposure by God. The light of life reveals the darkest sins hiding inside our hearts. He has the power and authority to remove the deep stain of sin that prevents us from experiencing complete relationship with a holy and perfect Father. Allow yourself to be overexposed in the Master’s presence today. He will fill you with His brand new light. Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life, and no one comes to the Father except through Him. It is time to be examined by the Lord.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: