Wednesday, June 25, 2008

It's a wash!

Today’s Reading: John 13:6(NIV)

6 He came to Simon Peter, who said to Him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?”

Good morning!

It is sometimes a difficult thing to let others serve you. We live in a mindset of self-sufficiency. We raise our children up, hoping they will one day become independent, productive adults. We pray they will learn to take care of themselves and not depend upon the graces of others for their daily needs. It doesn’t always work that way; many parents are still out there dreaming of the day when their children will finally assume full responsibility for their lives.

There are times, however, when we need to rely upon others for help. When we become ill and our bodies are in a weakened condition, we may need someone to assist us with even the simplest of tasks. I remember the helpless state I found myself in after having neck surgery some years ago. The anesthesia completely made me immobile for a period of time while my body healed. I could not open my eyelids without the assistance of my physician. I could not lift my arms or legs without the help of the charge nurse. I was unable to ring a call light for help. I’ve never experienced anything so frustrating or frightening. I was thankful that the time I spent in temporary paralysis was short-lived. Yet, there are many people today who suffer with long-term paralysis, who find they are wholly leaning upon the assistance of others to help them survive each day.

Simon Peter was appalled when Jesus approached him with the towel and basin. There was no way this independent, capable man was going to let the Lord of life wash his dirty feet. In complete surprise, I can hear Peter say: “Lord, I couldn’t possibly let you wash me. I can do this myself.” Just like Simon Peter, we all think we can wash our own dirty feet, removing the gunk of sin-buildup over our years of independent life experience. We don’t think we’re sick enough for a Savior, yet. We can slough off all the things we’ve said and done through the years that have hurt others. If we just do ten good things, we can maybe wipe out that one really big mistake we made in a fit of childlike rebellion and anger. We can wash our own feet, thank you very much – we just don’t need God to fix the messes we’ve made, do we?

Imagine the Lord Jesus Christ standing before you today with a towel and basin in His hand. He is quietly waiting for you to give Him your dirty feet, your broken heart, and your sin-sick soul. He is waiting to take your sin upon Himself because He loves you! In fact, He has already done this for you at Calvary. Jesus is pleading with you to give it up now, give it all to Him. We think we can do this squeaky clean thing all on our own. Without accepting Christ’s gift of salvation, we will never be able to rid ourselves of the sins that separate us from the Father. What will you do? Are you willing to lay aside your self-sufficient attitude, get real with God, and allow Jesus Christ to wash your sins away, once and for all?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: