Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Outside the pen?

Today’s Reading: John 10:16 (NIV)

[Jesus said,] 16 “I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one Shepherd.”

Good morning!

Are you ever overwhelmed by God’s great mercy? There are days when I simply cannot contain the joy in knowing Christ as my personal Savior and Shepherd.

I was an outsider. Every morning, I am reminded of the lengths Jesus went to rescue me. I was easily recognizable as one who didn’t belong: my coat was spotted and matted from the sins I carried in life. I was unruly, self-centered, and preferred doing things my own way. I was lost and I didn’t even realize it. Treading along a rocky and dangerous path, I was in extreme danger of falling to my eternal death. I had moved far and away from the fold of my Lord. Have you ever been so far off the beaten path that you didn’t know where you were?

Jesus took His staff, reached out and grabbed me by the neck. He led me, whimpering and kicking, back inside the pen. He had to arm-wrestle me more than once to bring me inside. I don’t know why we human types tend to fight the Lord at every turn. Obedience does not come easily for me. Learning to lay aside my will and longing for His will have become an important part of my daily journey.

When we arrived at the fold, He carried me in His arms, and set me next to some of the cleanest, brightest sheep I’ve ever seen. I didn’t look like them; I didn’t act like them, and I really didn’t feel like I fit into His pen very well. I was ashamed of my mangy gray coat. It was at that moment when the Good Shepherd began to shear away the sins that had stained my life. As I began to understand and confess the depths of my wandering, Christ began to heal my heart from the inside out. His love covered and cleansed the spots I feared would never go away. Jesus knew that I would be forever lost without His willing sacrifice. He laid His own life down to save a spotted sheep like me.

I am overwhelmed by God’s great mercy. If Christ would go to the extreme for someone like me, He will go the distance for you too. Won’t you let Him capture your heart? You may be standing outside the pen right now; but I am here to tell you there is room at the foot of the cross for you. Jesus came not only for the sheep in the pen, but for all who stand outside the gate. Won’t you cry out to the Lord right now?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: