Friday, April 04, 2008

The blessing of a flat tire and fresh air

Today’s Reading: John 10:19-20 (NIV)

19 At these words the Jews were again divided. 20 Many of them said, “He is demon-possessed and raving mad. Why listen to Him?”

Good morning!

Have you ever felt totally thankful and terribly frustrated all at the same time?


I was thinking about what I need to accomplish today and I’m wondering how it is all going to get done. The first thing I must address is the repair of my right front tire on the Spaulding-mobile. Flat tires are a pain in the neck. Apparently, I picked up a large screw and it has deflated the wind in my wheel. I heard the humming yesterday as I cruised down I-70 from work. I’m so fortunate that I didn’t have a blow out on the roadway. If it had to go flat, what better place than in my warm and dry garage at home. But now, this forces me to get the car in for a much-needed repair and I don’t have the time to spare! I’ll be driving approximately 300 miles this weekend, so I have to do address this now, whether I want to or not. You think I’m feeling a little frustrated this morning? I have a thankful heart and a cranky disposition. How can these emotions compliment each other in a servant’s heart?

I cannot begin to imagine our Lord’s frustration with the ongoing debate over His Word. He was speaking the Truth and some people were connecting with Him. Yet, there were many who simply didn’t get it, didn’t want to get it, and continued to make lots of negative commentary. They were determined to spin the Gospel message in a way that appealed to their personal preferences. Sometimes we read God’s Word and we begin to flatten it with our own preconceived notions. I imagine the Lord must have felt thankful and frustrated all at the same time, having to deal with humanity on an intimately personal level, in human flesh.

Today, I’m especially thankful for my Lord. He understands my mixed emotions of thankfulness and frustration. He endures harsh criticism and sheer frustration because of His love for all people. We’ve done our level best to flatten Him in theological debates and differences of belief; yet, Jesus Christ continues to reach out and save souls throughout the generations. He is the only One who bore the nails and lives to tell about it. When Jesus gave up His breath, we thought he would never rise again. But oh, can you imagine the surprise and wonder of His miraculous resurrection! Not only did Jesus Christ defeat physical death, He breathes new life, fresh air, even into worn and deflated hearts today.

Maybe a flat tire isn’t so bad after all. I can have His joy even in the midst of frustration. My tire will soon be patched, and it will carry me down the road as I meet the challenges of the day. Thank you Lord, for the gift of fresh air and new life!

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: