Saturday, March 15, 2008

Reversing the lens

Today’s Reading: John 9:39 (NIV)

39 Jesus said, “For judgment I have come into this world, so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind.”

Good morning!

Yesterday at work, I was trying to focus my eyes on some printed material right in front of me, and was having the most difficult time reading the text. I’ve worn corrective contact lenses for years, but it seemed like my vision had changed overnight. Because I’m diabetic, I have to watch acute visual changes. I grabbed my glucometer and checked my blood sugar; it was fine. Yet, I couldn’t read the words on the page. Have you ever had this experience? Out of sheer desperation, I went to the ladies’ room and switched my contact lenses, and what do you know - I could see clearly again! Have you ever put your contact lenses in the wrong eyes? I wish I could tell you this was the first time I’ve done it, but that would not be true. Sometimes, I need to experience a lens reversal so I can see clearly once more.

The Pharisees were not happy with the man from Nazareth. He was stepping on toes, healing sinful people on the Sabbath, and making quite a stir in town. I think it is safe to say they did not like Him at all. They couldn’t understand His purpose for coming and they refused to try. A role reversal was occurring right before their very eyes, but the Pharisees simply couldn’t see it. They were blinded to the truth of Jesus Christ.

When we have difficulty reading and understanding God’s Word and how it speaks to our hearts, we need to stop and check our spiritual lens. Maybe we’ve unintentionally reversed it, which is why we cannot see the truth clearly. We get so bent on seeing things the way we want to see it, rather than trying to understand what God may actually be saying. Do you know what I mean?

It is easy to see things through our own personal lens. We need the help of the Holy Spirit to recognize the Truth. Jesus can heal our spiritual blindness, when we ask Him to help us see and understand His truth clearly. If you are struggling to see clearly today, try reversing the lens you are looking through. It may clear up your vision instantly!

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: