Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Daylight Savings Time


Today’s Reading: John 9:4-5 (NIV)

4 “As long as it is day, we must do the work of Him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. 5 While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”

Good morning!

Daylight savings time has occurred in the US, and we lost an hour of sleep last Saturday night in an attempt to “spring forward.” I do not understand why it is so hard to lose that extra hour of rest, yet so easy to “fall back” in the fall. My body tells me I have misplaced an entire night’s rest. I think this must be symptomatic of some deeper revelation. Maybe it’s because I’m in the last week of quarter classes and I’m trying to finish up projects that are due this weekend. Maybe that is why I’m feeling a little extra fatigued. Does the switch to daylight savings time affect you this way?

I enjoy the longer daylight hours. There is something delicious about not having to drive home from work at 6pm in total darkness. It means I can go outside and play for an hour – I can actually see my messy garden beds that are begging for a little extra attention and tender loving care. I can take a walk and still see where I’m walking. When the weather warms up, the days will grow longer and soon we will be mowing the grass and pulling weeds. I have come to enjoy the extra time outside while the daylight lasts.

Jesus understood the value of His light. His Father sent Him to be the light of life to a dark and disillusioned world. He only had so much time to do the work of the One who had sent Him. Jesus knew that the night would eventually come, when no one would be able to work.

We have an amazing window of opportunity to share the Gospel message with others right now! There is still a little daylight left outside. How will you choose to use the extra time God has given you to plant seeds for His kingdom?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: