Friday, February 08, 2008

Walking through the valley

Today’s Reading: Psalm 23 (NIV)

1 The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, 3 he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 6 Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

When I awoke this morning, I wondered how it could possibly be good.

It’s not often when I struggle to see the good, but I do have my moments. This has been a week filled with great tragedy. People are suffering all around me. Devastation erupted across the south in the rash of tornadoes. The death toll continues to rise, as families scramble to find loved ones and begin the process of rebuilding. An explosion at a refinery in Atlanta leaves hundreds dead and seriously injured. Several devoted public servants lost their lives last night n a tragic shooting in the Kirkwood City Hall in Saint Louis, Missouri. And just this week alone, I have prayed for the families of two young people, who were seriously injured in automobile accidents and lay comatose in intensive care units, fighting to live. Right now, a six year old boy is suffering through chemotherapy and radiation, trying to control the malignant tumor growing inside his brain. A wife loses her husband to a long battle with heart disease, and she feels lost today, wondering how she will face the future without him by her side.

We all experience helplessness as we stand in the shadow of death. It forces us to walk through dark valleys where we would rather not go. We ask questions and look for answers. Some questions can never be answered in this life. No matter how much strength and determination we muster, it does not stop death from coming. There is only One who walks with us through this valley and takes us to the other side. He offers hope for new life to all who believe. He is the one King David calls his shepherd. The good shepherd watches over His sheep. He is there, even as we walk through the valley of the shadow of death. He brings hope and comfort to the comfortless. We count on Him to carry us home. Jesus will not leave or forsake us, especially when we find ourselves wandering in the valley of the shadow of death.

Christ is our only hope in the midst of hopelessness and despair. We can experience His indescribable peace, where no human peace exists. God’s love will find you, no matter where you are right now. There is a Savior, and He is walking with you through this valley. Cry out to Jesus, and allow the good shepherd to hold your broken heart and comfort you today.

May His peace, that passes all understanding, guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus, our Lord.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: