Friday, February 22, 2008

Vital statistic

Today’s Reading: John 7:28-29 (NIV)

28 Then Jesus, still teaching in the temple courts, cried out, “Yes, you know me, and you know where I am from. I am not here on my own, but He who sent me is true. You do not know Him, 29 but I know Him because I am from Him and He sent me.”

Good day!

Which high school did you graduate from? This seems to be a vital statistic for people living in the “Show-Me” state. It is a common thread, linking Midwesterners, particularly Missourians. I am often asked about where I went to high school. My answer will reveal the area in which I grew up, and the social status of my family. I want you to know that I am a proud graduate of McCluer Senior High, class of 1977. What does this say to you about who I am?

The people thought they knew who Jesus was. Many watched this man grow up in Nazareth. He was the son of Joseph and Mary, a carpenter by trade. They questioned his religious training, knowing He had not spent time studying with the religious teachers of the law. Jesus suggested even though they knew where He grew up and who raised Him, they did not know the One who had sent Him. This was a confusing testimony to understand. They asked amongst themselves, “By whose authority had Jesus been sent?”

Remember how Jesus was rejected by His own community? We humans tend to hold preconceived notions about what people will become, based upon their upbringing and culture. While moral and spiritual values (for better or worse) are instilled during our childhood years, the God we serve has all power to transform every heart to a heart that radiates His love. When we know the ultimate transformer, we are not so surprised when the transformation occurs. Jesus said, “I am not here on my own, but He who sent me is true. You do not know Him yet, but I do, because I am from Him and He sent me to you.”

Maybe we should learn to not place so much emphasis where we were raised and educated. Maybe the better question should be, “In whom do you place your faith and hope?” Do you know who Jesus Christ really is? Have you met the One who sent Him here?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: