Saturday, February 23, 2008

Marching orders

Today’s Reading: John 7:33-34(NIV)

33 Jesus said, “I am with you for only a short time, and then I go to the One who sent me. 34 You will look for me, but you will not find me; and where I am, you cannot come.”

Good day!

When I was a little girl, I wanted to go to work with my daddy. He got up at 6am each morning. I can remember listing to the sounds of KMOX® Radio crooning on the air waves every day. The first song I would hear was the Lord’s Prayer, followed by a John Philip Susa patriotic march. In the first five minutes of the 6am hour, we received our marching orders for the day. We learned that the first order of business was to pray, and the second, to march right out of bed and get ready to go to school and work.

I didn’t want daddy to leave me behind, so one dark and chilly morning, I got up before KMOX came on the air. I grabbed my coat and boots and put them on over my pajamas. I carried my pillow and doll to the doorway in front of my parents’ bedroom, where I laid down and went back to sleep. I remember how my parents laughed at me when they emerged from their sleeping chamber and saw me on the floor. I didn’t think it was funny. It’s a wonder they didn’t trip over me stumbling into the bathroom! I really wanted to go with him, but it wouldn’t have been safe for him to take me to the construction site. I thought I was ready to go, but it was obviously not the right time.

The disciples yearned to go where Jesus was going, and He understood their deepest need. Jesus reminded them that He would only be with them a short while in the flesh before returning to the One who had sent Him. Jesus said that one day, they would look for Him but would not find Him, because where He is, they could not yet come.

We search for Him, crying out to the One who gives us new life. We often forget that He finds us first, and it is in His love that we are drawn closer to Him each day. If you are seeking the risen Christ this morning, I have good news for you! You wouldn’t be looking for Him if He had not already sought you out. That means that He is right here, right now! Look up and see your salvation smiling back at you! Jesus Christ finds us first. He gives us the deep desire to seek His face, following wherever He leads. It’s time to take up our morning marching orders.

Rise and shine, baby! This is the perfect day to follow Jesus Christ.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: