Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Now what do you say?

Today’s Reading: John 8:3-5, 7(NIV)

3 The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4 and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do You say?”

7 When they kept on questioning Him, He straightened up and said to them, “If any one of you is without sin, let Him be the first to throw a stone at her.”

Good day!

My husband Jeff and I have lived in church parsonages for twenty-nine of the thirty years we’ve been married. We served several congregations in Texas and in Missouri We’ve met a lot of precious people, many whom we count as dear friends. It is interesting to experience faith through the hearts of so many as we’ve shared Christ’s love together. since Jeff entered the ministry in 1975.

We’ve known a few dear saints who truly believe and profess with their lips that they’ve never ever sinned. Maybe you feel that way too. In their heart of hearts, they believe they have done their very best to not break the law of Moses. They have chosen to be faithful and continue to walk in Jesus’ steps; loving others more than they love themselves and forgiving those who have hurt them seventy times seven times.

It is difficult for me to find a day when I don’t somehow slip up and sin. Some unsavory thought crosses my mind, or I say something in a rash and heated moment, that I soon regret. I have a hard time relating to my friends who believe they have never ever messed up, especially when I seem to mess up all the time. How I long to one day be perfected in Christ’s love! There is not a moment when I don’t regret the mistakes I make. Fortunately for me, Jesus Christ forgives me when I repent, and choose to leave that sinful whim behind. Knowing my faults and imperfections, I find myself praying each morning in advance of the sins I may encounter during the day. I ask the Lord to lead me NOT into temptation and deliver me from evil. Of all the things I pray for each morning, this prayer has become my daily bread.

Now what do you say? Jesus is standing in front of you today, asking whether you would condemn this sinful woman. Would you be the first to hurl a stone, believing in your heart that you had never sinned yourself? Would you feel that you had the right to judge her heart based upon your own flawless track record?

I confess I’ve hurled a lot of stones in my life, judging some people and certain situations that I have had no right to pass judgment upon. I’m asking the Lord God Almighty to take the stones we are holding in the palms of our hands and replace them with His healing love and forgiveness today.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: