Monday, February 25, 2008

The heart of a child

Today’s Reading: Galatians 5:1-2(NIV)

1 Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children 2 and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave Himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

Good day!

When I arrived at the party, I saw my four-year-old granddaughter, sitting on a chair at the Strawberry Shortcake table, dressed in a pink polka-dot dress with white frilly socks and shiny white shoes. I began singing the song “Happy Birthday.” When she saw my face, her eyes lit up like little firecrackers exploding in the night. Immediately, Emily jumped to her feet and shouted, “Nanny, I got four! I got four!” I took her in my arms and we danced around the table singing and celebrating together! There is nothing like seeing the face of an exuberant child on her fourth birthday. Throughout the afternoon, Emily said, “Nanny, I’m just so happy!”

We celebrate our birthdays, remembering the gift of new life and the hope of all that is to come. Emily is four years old today, and as sure as I look away and blink again, she will be fourteen, going to proms and playing sports, and then twenty-four, walking across the graduation stage in her cap and gown, and maybe down the church aisle in a beautiful white wedding gown. I wonder if we will dance together like little girls in party hats on the day she gets married, or what Emily might say to me when she hands me my great-grandchild for the very first time. I see in her precious face the love of my Lord Jesus Christ. She is so full of His Spirit. It is His life that gives her new life, and it is birthed every day, as she is nurtured by the love of family and friends. I am constantly reminded of how blessed our family is, five times over, as we share in the joy of watching our grandchildren grow in the light of His love, mercy and grace.

No one teaches us how to love each other better than a little child does. We can learn a lot from them, as they experience for themselves a personal relationship Jesus Christ. May you find yourself celebrating new life in the Spirit today, as you cherish rebirth in Him. Take hold of that hope that He has planted uniquely inside of you and reach out to someone who needs to experience what real love is today.

May we daily seek to imitate our Lord, as we learn to love with child-like hearts.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: