Thursday, January 31, 2008

A change of weather

Today’s Reading: John 6:18 (NIV)

18 A strong wind was blowing and the waters grew rough.

Memory Verse: “Therefore welcome one another as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.” (Romans 15:7 ESV)

Good day!

The State of Missouri, where I live, is known for its unpredictable weather. We not only have four seasons, we can change at a moment’s notice. Two days ago, I left work at lunch to go home and check on my son. The temperature was a balmy 72°F, very odd for January weather, but I wasn’t complaining. I rolled down the car windows and cranked up the Ernie Haase and Signature Sound on the CD player. I figured my fellow commuters could all use a little extra blessing on this absolutely gorgeous day. Thirty minutes later, I was surprised to discover that the sun had disappeared behind some thick clouds and it had started to rain. The temperature had dropped 22° in a short window of time. I don't know why I was surprised. I should have grabbed my winter coat and hat. At least I did roll up the windows before I backed down the driveway. I was looking forward to a little spring delight. I know spring never comes before Groundhog Day. I guess it was just wishful thinking.

All afternoon, I could see the weather changing rapidly outside my office window. It changed from rain, to hail, to sleet, to snow and ice. When I left work around 6pm, an inch of ice had to scraped off the windshield before I could drive. The wind was wicked, blowing in mighty strong gusts. I had a hard time keeping the car on the road way. It’s no wonder I’ve had a head cold this week. That’s the thing about Missouri weather. If you don’t like it, just wait a few hours. It will change.

God uses dramatic changes in the weather of our lives to gain our undivided attention. We become so unaware of what is going on around us. And then, almost without warning, the winds pick up and the waters get rough, and we wonder, where did that come from? There is a strong and mighty wind blowing across our world today, and the waters are getting rough. We can sense the change in the atmosphere. It is time to pay attention to what is going on.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

Thank you, Father, for sending high winds and rough waters. Please do whatever it takes to get my undivided attention. Melt my heart of stone and give me a heart of flesh. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: