Thursday, December 13, 2007

What do you want for Christmas?

Daily Reading: Hebrews 7, 8, 9

Hebrews 9:28 (NIV)

28 So Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and He will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for Him.

Good evening!

This is the time of year when my husband asks me to make a “list” of the things I want most for Christmas. We’ve been married thirty years and I would say he knows me better than I know myself. So why in the world would he need a list from me? I wonder that every year, as I’m jotting notes on a piece of paper.

What do I really want for Christmas? I already have everything I need. Early this morning, I found myself sitting in a surgery holding area of a local hospital, waiting while Jeff underwent a minor surgical procedure. We had to be there at 5:30am, and I found myself enjoying a few brief moments of quiet time, while sipping on a cup of decaf coffee and praying. There were only a few people in the room with me and all of them were sleeping, except for one man, who was typing furiously on his laptop computer.

As I sat in the stillness of this moment, I realized just how important my husband is to me. When the doctor stopped by to give me some very good news, I knew I had just received a special Christmas present. The gift of good health is something we should never take for granted. Jeff’s surgeon corrected the problem, and reissued his extended warranty. It would be at least another thirty thousand miles before Jeff would need to revisit the body shop for “wear and tear” repair work. He’s a little feisty and cantankerous tonight, but I can live with it.

There is something really special about preparing our hearts to receive the greatest gift of all – the birth of the Lord Jesus Christ in our daily lives. We celebrate His birthday with grateful hearts. Without Christ’s atonement for our sin, we would all be lost forever. Believers everywhere are preparing to celebrate the coming of the newborn King. Christ’s love makes life worth living. We are promised many gifts through His Word. What would you choose from God’s gift list this year? He offers His very best through His Son. Jesus sends His personal comforter to guide and direct us all our days. We have the gift of His holy presence – Emmanuel – God with Us. We have the assurance of salvation, of abundant and eternal life. What more could we possibly want?

Because Jeff asked, I made up a wish list, though I suspect he will not be going shopping anytime soon. Of all the presents I’ve been received, the one I look forward to receiving is Christ's return. Jesus promised He would come back for those who are longing for more of Him. One day soon, I will receive the fullness of His grace as I stand before my Heavenly Father at the judgment throne. It is through the righteousness of Christ alone, that I will stand, washed white as snow before my King. The very best gift of all is salvation. This is one gift that cannot be purchased at the mall. It has no price, for Christ's sacrifice is simply priceless. Jesus paid the cost for humanity 2,000 years ago at Calvary. I know it’s hard to believe, but His gift of salvation is offered free to you, right now. All you have to do is ask Him to come into your heart today. Tell Him that you are sorry for the things you’ve done wrong. Ask Jesus to forgive you and give you a brand new life. Invite Him to become your Lord and Savior. The gift of eternal salvation is offered to you. Will you choose to accept the gift of God's grace?

What do you want for Christmas?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: God’s gift to become your present. You do not have to wait to know Jesus as your personal Savior and Lord. You can meet Him right now, right where you are at. God's salvation through Jesus Christ is the best gift you will ever receive.

___________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.