Monday, December 10, 2007

Visual aid

Daily Reading: Hebrews 1, 2, 3

Hebrews 3:1 (NIV)

1 Therefore, holy brothers, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus, the apostle and high priest whom we confess.

Good evening!

Upon arriving at Faith Church Sunday morning for 11am worship, I was surprised to see an amazing portrait of Jesus’ face, captured across the big screen at the front of our sanctuary. We use PowerPoint in worship during our 9am celebration service. It helps to illustrate Pastor Kim’s sermons and features the words to the morning’s praise and worship songs. The screen is usually tucked neatly away long before the 11am service. I was drawn to the peaceful, kind look of my Lord on the big screen. This made a lasting impression in my mind. It has been said that a picture is worth a thousand words. I have an eternal picture of my Savior that is absolutely priceless. Would you like to see it?

My mother often comments that she can’t hear without her glasses. Since she is a pro at lip-reading, it is no wonder she depends upon her ability to see, in order to hear. I look forward to holy moments, as I separate myself from the cares of the day and simply fix my eyes upon Jesus. Looking at Him helps me hear a whole lot better. I think that is why the portrait of Christ on the big screen really touched my heart. I spend time in worship listening. I focus my mind and heart upon God’s Word and how it speaks while it is read by the liturgist. I pay close attention to my Pastor who brings the morning message. I listen to the words sung by the chancel choir. Focusing on Christ’s face brings a whole new dimension to my hearing ability. In the stillness of corporate worship, it is seeing the face of my Lord face that helps me hear so much more. When you can see clearly, doesn’t it improve your hearing?

About a month ago, Faith Church rented a petting zoo, complete with a donkey, llama, goats and sheep, so that our children could have a “hands-on” experience with the story of Christ’s birth. The children and many of the adults in our congregation dressed up in costumes and posed for pictures in the stable, with the animals. The photographs that were taken of the live nativity put a face on our Lord’s birthday. I saw Jesus through the precious eyes of an infant child, in the twinkle of the angels’ message, and in the smile of the baby’s sweet mother. I could hear the story in a brand new way, simply because my hearing was greatly enhanced with a visual aid.

Every now and then, we need visual aids to help us focus on His truth. During Advent, we have lots of opportunities to experience the sights and sounds of hope. Leave the crazy hubbub of mall shopping behind, and look for a more something a little quieter. Light a candle and concentrate on His light that shines in the darkness. Ring a glass bell with your hands, and hear the angels’ voices announcing the birthday of the King. See the snow and ice falling outside your picture window and remember the cold night when Mary labored in a stable to give birth to our Lord. Touch the cheek of a newborn baby’s face and feel the gift of new life with your fingertips. Pet a fidgety donkey at the petting zoo and think about the ride a very pregnant woman endured just to register in her husband’s home town. Can you hear the sounds of Christmas rising up from the things you see?

Keep the portrait of Christ front and center during times spent in worship and prayer. His face is a perfect picture of the hope we have in Him. Thank you, Father, for helping us hear Your still, small voice through the images we see each day.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: visual aids to help you hear His Word in a fresh, new way. Won’t you open your eyes and ears to the sights and sounds of Advent?

___________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.