Thursday, October 25, 2007

Going home

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: John 14, 15, 16, 17

John 14:1-6 (NIV)

1 [Jesus said,] “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. 2 In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going. 5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?” 6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”

Good morning!

I am blessed to live in the State of Missouri. I’ve lived in various parts of Missouri my entire life, with the exception of a four year period when Jeff and I moved to Texas while he attended Southern Methodist University. One of the things I so appreciate about our state is its four distinct seasons. How I love the festive colors of fall, when the temperature drops just enough that the leaves begin to turn to shades of crimson red, buttercup yellow and bright orange. A sweet treat awaits me at home after a nice long walk at the park on a crisp fall day. There is nothing nicer than to curl up in front of the fireplace on a chilly evening. I grab one of my grandmother’s hand-quilted comforters and drape it over my lap, while holding a cup of steaming hot tea in one hand and a good book in the other. From my back door, I watch the beautiful tree-lined street fade into quiet stillness as the night settles in. It has been said, “There is no place like home.” I agree.

Home is a place we draw near to, a haven for the road weary. I have a very busy life. When I’m not at work, I’m at school, or at the library studying. When I’m not studying, I am at church, singing, praying, and enjoying the company of my Faith family. Home is a place where I can reconnect with my family and share life together. Home is a sacred space where I retreat at the end of the day to rest and relax. It is a place where I know I am welcome to simply be me. My creativity pours out at home, where I spend time making scrapbooks, cooking meals, and writing. I don’t have to worry about staying dressed up – I can put on a pair of comfy pajamas and big furry slippers and not worry about what the neighbor thinks, unless they ring my doorbell! Home is a place of peace, a welcome respite, a haven of love. What does “home” mean to you?

The disciples listened intently as Jesus talked about a house with many rooms, a special space lovingly created just for them. Jesus was going there soon, to prepare for their arrival. Thomas and Philip had questions. Their hearts were burning with emotion. Where was He going? How would they find Him? They longed to see the place that Jesus described, but wondered how they would ever find it. Thomas asked, “We don’t know where you are going, so how can we possibly know the way?” At that moment, Jesus revealed Himself in a way they had not yet experienced. He simply said, “I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”

For those who believe, Jesus is the home we long for. He is the only shelter we need. Jesus is our rest, our peace, our final destination. Through His death and resurrection, He has created a special place reserved especially for you and me. We follow Him there, looking forward to experiencing eternal peace in the light of His love. The journey home may seem long and difficult, but it will be worth it all when we see His holy face, inviting us to join Him at the banquet table.

As much as I love each season of the year, I know it will pale in comparison to that special place that Jesus has prepared just for me. He is the way home. Are you ready to go?

There is no place like our home in Christ.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: a change of season. Be aware that your life here on earth is only for awhile, but your home with the Lord is forever and ever. Jesus is the way, the truth and the everlasting life. He offers it to you and to me today. Are you ready to go home?

___________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.