Monday, October 22, 2007

Blinded by the light

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: John 8, 9: Psalm 141

John 9:39-41 (NIV)

39 Jesus said, “For judgment I have come into this world, so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind.” 40 Some Pharisees who were with Him heard Him say this and asked, “What? Are we blind too?” 41 Jesus said, “If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains.”

Psalm 141:8 (NIV)

8 But my eyes are fixed on you, O Sovereign Lord; in you I take refuge – do not give me over to death.

Good morning!

I have struggled with nearsightedness and acute astigmatism most of my life. I started wearing glasses at eight years of age, and purchased my first set of contact lenses when I turned sixteen. I would love to have clearer vision. I’m a chicken when it comes to the notion of pursuing corrective lens surgery. I’m not sure I would be the best candidate or the best patient. Still, I think about it occasionally, but especially at this time of year, when allergies and pollens in the air really irritate my eyes.

I am blessed to be able to see at all. The American Foundation for the Blind states there are approximately 10 million Americans who suffer from blindness or who are categorized as visually impaired persons. Without the benefit of corrective lenses, I am considered one of 10 million. Do you struggle to see clearly?

When I read Scripture and pray early in the morning, I discover my vision is not as clear as I would like it to be. Sometimes I find myself leaning just a little bit closer to see the words floating across my computer screen. God uses these visual limitations to remind me that even in my weakness, He is strong. I rely on the Lord to be my vision, my hope, and my only light for daily living. Someday, I believe Christ will correct my vision once and for all. Until then, I wait patiently, gazing into the dimly lit mirror.

It is a scary experience to be blinded by intense sunlight while driving your automobile along the highway. Sometimes the light is so bright it makes it virtually impossible to see what is right in front of you. I imagine the Pharisees were feeling overwhelmed, trying to see the Savior of the World for who He is. They were asking lots of good questions, and yet, Christ’s answers made no logical sense to them. They were maneuvering along the road of life, completely blinded by Christ’s soul-piercing light. Have you ever been so self-absorbed, that you couldn’t see the Lord, even if He were standing right in front of you?

Jesus said, “If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains.” How I long to stand before the Lord today guilt-free and with His visual clarity guiding my life. When God removes the blinders from our eyes, He holds us to a higher standard because we claim we can see Him more clearly. So why do we choose to behave like spoiled little children, self-centered and self-absorbed, who have no light with which to see?

Thank God there is grace and mercy for all at the foot of the cross. Choosing to walk by faith rather than relying on our skewed vision, is a mark of true discipleship. Jesus has the power not only to heal our nearsightedness, but to cover the guilt we carry in our hearts. If you find you are blinded by the light today, stop and ask the Lord of life to reveal Himself to you through the eyes of faith. He will do it, if you just ask.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: eyes of faith to see the Lord clearly! Trust the light of life to cover your sin, heal your heart, and lead you home.

___________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.