Saturday, September 15, 2007

Falling asleep on the job

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Nahum 1, 2, 3; Psalm 121

Nahum 1:15 (NIV)

15 Look, there on the mountains, the feet of one who brings good news, who proclaims peace! Celebrate your festivals, O Judah, and fulfill your vows. No more will the wicked invade you; they will be completely destroyed.

Psalm 121 (NIV)

1 I lift up my eyes to the hills – where does my help come from? 2 My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. 3 He will not let your foot slip – He who watches over you will not slumber; 4 indeed, He who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. 5 The Lord watches over you – the Lord is your shade at your right hand; 6 the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. 7 The Lord will keep you from all harm – He will watch over your life; 8 the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.

Good morning!

Have you ever fallen asleep on the job? When I was pregnant with our son Benjamin, I was tired all the time. Toward the end of this pregnancy, I had to lie down and rest periodically during the day. I was employed as a part-time administrative assistant for a Disciples of Christ Church in the town where we lived. On Friday afternoons, the office was very quiet, as the pastor took the day apart for rest and reflection prior to weekend services. Sometimes, the only sound in the building was that of the air conditioning unit kicking on every fifteen minutes or so. I had just finished running the bulletin for worship, hand-folded all the copies and was waiting for my husband to pick me up. In my ninth month, I could barely waddle, much less drive. In order to get the seat close enough so that I could reach the gas pedal and brake with my feet, the steering wheel wouldn’t turn because of my ever-expanding baby bump. It was a typical summer in Texas, and the temperatures rose to the mid 100 degree range every afternoon. I don’t remember closing my eyes, but I do recall the pastor standing over my desk laughing at me, while shaking my shoulders with his hands. I think I might have been drooling, with my head propped between my hands, sitting hunched over the desk. It’s a good thing pastors provide grace and mercy to their laity who sometimes unintentionally fall asleep while on the clock.

We all have a job to do. God plans and provides for our time on earth and He expects us to listen, seek, and act. He expects us to wake up and get to work. Have you ever wanted to stay in bed and catch a few extra winks when the Great I Am is urging you to get up?

There is something very comforting in knowing that the Lord watches over my life. Even when I am sleeping, He is watching me. The prophet Nahum sounded a trumpet of good news for the people of God. Hold on! Go ahead and celebrate the Lord God Almighty! He will rescue you from the evil that surrounds you day by day; the stuff of life that wears you out and makes you tired. Get up and rejoice! Fulfill His call upon your life now, for God is watching over you today!

This is the message every sleepy head needs to hear. If your life is stuck between a rock and hard place and all you want to do is close your eyes and go to sleep, listen to the Word of the Lord today and know that God will protect you when doze off, and He will go before you in every battle you face, if you will simply call upon His name. Do not be discouraged. Get up; inhale a brand new breath of God, and get to work! Lift your eyes up and see your salvation. Come and worship the Lord with me!

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: a new breath of fresh air. The Lord promises to watch over your coming and going, both now and forevermore. It’s time to get up and go tell the world about the Lord!

____________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.