Friday, September 14, 2007

Can anything good come from cancer?

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Micah 7; Psalms 119:145-176; 120

Micah 7:7 (NIV)

7 But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord; I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me.

Hosea 13:14 (NIV)

13 “I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death. Where, O death, are your plagues? Where, O grave, is your destruction?”

Good morning!

This summer, two of my children were both diagnosed with different types of cancer. Our Rachel had cervical cancer. She had surgery, and with His healing touch in and through the skill of her surgeon, Rachel is now is cancer free, praise God! She has a husband and three beautiful children, ages 5, 3 and 12 weeks old. Now Rachel is looking forward to living life with her family and watching her children grow up. Having cancer changes your perspective on life. It will take several weeks for Rachel's body to recover, but every day we see a little more improvement.

Our son David has stage 3 non-Hodgkins lymphoma. He has been receiving treatment for several weeks. His cancer, despite the medications, continues to spread. Three new places showed up this week in a scan, one on his right jaw and two places on the brain. David is 21 years old. He's had his share of health issues through the years, and I'm thankful that this boy is a fighter. I've watched him overcome some pretty tough situations in life. Oh, how I want David to be cancer free! What mother wouldn't want her child to be healthy and whole? His illness is going to take every ounce of physical, emotional and spiritual strength he can muster to lick it.

I've never had cancer before. Would I be as courageous as my children are in the throws of a major medical crisis? What can they teach me about hanging onto faith in the midst of adversity?

Rachel wonders whether she will wake up one morning and not wonder if the cancer that once lived inside of her has returned. David wonders if he will ever wake up one day cancer-free. I wake up in the middle of the night, wondering why some babies are born with cancer, why little children suffer - what good gift could possibly come from such a horrible disease?

Maybe the good gifts are borne in learning how to trust God just a little bit more, especially when we find ourselves deep in the pit of adversity. Letting go and allowing the Lord full reign is never easy, at least not for me. I'm like the Little Engine that Could. If “I Think I Can” long enough, I'll find the steam it takes to get up the mountain all by myself. Sometimes, we need an stronger engine to carry us all the way to the top. Without Christ’s mercy and strength, I'd be stuck at the bottom of the hill, spouting hot air and overheating from the inside out.

This morning, I'm looking for something good to come from this horrible disease called cancer. I know that I know that I know - my God is greater. He holds my children in His amazing arms of love. He loves them and planned for their lives long before they were even a glimmer in my eye. He promises that I can depend upon Him, even though I can't see the bigger picture right now. My vision is blurred and limited as I gaze through the veil of my tears. Still, I know they are not alone in this fight and neither are we. Remembering God's love for us and His promise that He will be with us, even to the end of the age, is good news for a day like today.

Maybe something good can come from this after all.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

Prayer: Lord Jesus, I pray that you will be especially near to every person who is struggling with cancer today. May the power and presence of your sweet Holy Spirit comfort your children as they fight to survive. Give them courage and faith to hold on to you, even in the midst of extreme adversity. Teach us how to trust you more. Thank you for remaining a faithful and constant companion, especially when we find ourselves climbing a cancer mountain. Amen.

____________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.