Tuesday, August 07, 2007

The Ten Day Prayer

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Jeremiah 40, 41, 42, 43

Jeremiah 42:4; 7 (NIV)

4 “I have heard you,” replied Jeremiah the prophet. “I will certainly pray to the Lord your God as you have requested. I will tell you everything the Lord says and will keep nothing back from you.”

7 Ten days later the Word of the Lord came to Jeremiah.

Revelation 21:4 (NIV)

4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.

Good morning!

Tell me something – have you ever prayed for ten days straight? I keep a running prayer list before me, and I may lift up a certain individual or a specific need repeatedly over a ten day period, maybe even longer. But to pray in the Spirit for ten days straight, focusing my heart and mind on one need only is something I have a hard time visualizing. I don’t know if I could keep my mind harnessed on one thing, without wandering away, for that length of time. Could you? If God called you to pray for ten days straight for someone else’s need, would you do it?

My mother was really good at perpetual prayer. She prayed a lot in our home, mostly silently. Sometimes I could hear her crying and whispering from her bedroom, and I knew she was pouring out her heart to the Lord. I cry when I pray. My nose gets all red and runny. I keep a box of tissue next to my Bible, because I know I’m going to need it. I’ve often wondered how I will ever get along in heaven with no more tears. The scripture says that in the life to come, God will wipe away every tear from our eyes, and that crying will be no more. I cannot imagine sitting in God’s presence without a tear falling from my face. This promise makes me wonder even more what the new order of things will be like. No more runny noses! What an incredible day that will be!

I began writing daily devotional messages one year ago this month. They were borne from a deep desire to offer encouragement to others in pursing a daily prayer time with the Lord. Our lives are so very busy. We get wrapped up in the obligations at home, school and work. I have days when I meet myself coming and going. Still, there is life in His presence. There is hope in His presence. There is peace in His presence. I cannot imagine beginning my day without Jesus. I wouldn’t survive without feeling His breath on my face and the touch of His hand in mine. A shift occurs as I sit and wait for His Word. I don’t always receive a quick answer to the prayers I pray. When I ask the question, “Why, Lord?” He may choose to respond by saying, “Why not?” There are many things I’m sure I will never understand during this lifetime. Maybe I’m not supposed to understand it all. I have found it is easier to lay the burdens of my heart down, knowing He hears me and understands, even when I do not. Jesus picks me up and carries me through whatever it is I’m facing. I’ve learned that my Lord has the power to do it for you too! He waits for us to seek His face daily and we must be willing to wait for His Word. The answer always comes. Do you have enough patience to wait for His reply?

Jeremiah went to the batting cage for His people in prayer. The ones who worked so hard against the prophet continued to return to him for counsel. Isn’t this an ironic twist in life? We are drawn to spirit-filled people; there are times when we may resent or disagree with their approach, and yet, we find comfort in knowing they are praying for us daily. It is a transformational miracle from the hand of God. He extends His life through ordinary people who pray for each other daily. Jeremiah was an extraordinary man; there is no doubt about it. However, what sets him apart from you and me is his willingness. Are you willing to be a Jeremiah in the community where you live? Would you give up your precious time to pray and seek God’s face to help out a neighbor in need?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: a willing heart to pray the prayers that God has called you to pray. There are people out there who desperately need a Jeremiah to pray for them. It takes time, patience, and perseverance. How much of yourself are you willing to give to help a neighbor in need? Will you pray with me today?

___________________________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.