Friday, August 10, 2007

The precious gift of peace

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Jeremiah 50, 51, 52

John 10:27-28 (NIV)

[Jesus said,] “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.”

John 14:27 (NIV)

[Jesus said,] “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”

Good morning!

Of all the presents you have ever received, which one is your favorite? Last night at Kaleidoscope (our Thursday evening small group Bible study), we talked about the gifts of God. This is something I’ve come to appreciate more and more each day. The material gifts I offered to my children while they were growing up in our home simply pale in comparison to God’s offering of Himself to the children He loves. The gift of eternal salvation through the shed blood of Jesus is, without a doubt, the greatest gift you and I will ever receive. Once we accept His gift and invite the Lord of life to live within our heart, He begins to reveal His perfect nature as we seek His presence each day. You may not see them clearly at first; with time, Christ helps you to recognize the special gift mix planted and cultivated within your heart. He gives you the desire to share your special present with those around you each day.

It is hard to pick a favorite gift – there are so many from which to choose! His love is timeless. It is perfect. Faith to follow Him, especially when things are tough, is a gift like no other. It is that faith that catapults us into action. We experience the gift of His joy, knowing we are loved with a love that will never fail us. We begin to recognize the beauty of building relationships that last. Jesus sets the bar at relationship building. Beyond the gift of salvation and everlasting life, my favorite gift from God is His gift of peace.

Maybe I had to experience a life of turmoil before I could truly appreciate receiving the gift of His peace. The world tries to convince us that peace is an acquisition – something to be purchased or owned. Lots of people work their entire lives seeking a little slice of peace, only to find their savings wiped out in a health crisis or natural disaster. They may lose the home they spent thirty years paying for to a flood, tornado, or earthquake. The pension plan they’ve invested in suddenly disappears just as they are preparing to retire. What will they live on for the next forty years of their life? The peace of Christ does not eliminate the struggles we face from day to day. His peace is a daily reminder that especially when life is not easy, He remains. Jesus Christ is the Prince of peace. I am never, ever alone, and no matter where I go, the Lord of life walks by my side, holding my heart in His nail-scarred hand. Once you give your life to Him, Jesus will never let you go. His peace is a precious treasure; and in His presence, that gift is worth more to me than anything this world has to offer.

The peace of Christ finds me as I seek His presence each day. His peace is an amazing gift, just waiting to be unwrapped. Like a warm, woolen blanket, I crawl underneath the covering of His love. There is staying power in His peace. I know this day will not be easy. There will be challenges and difficult moments to endure. No matter what happens, His blanket keeps me covered. It is His anointing that remains, when everything around me seems to fail. If you are yearning for a support system that will not fall apart in the storms of life, ask Jesus to give you His peace. It passes all understanding, as we keep our hearts and minds focused on Him.

Jesus said, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: His peace to carry you through every moment of your life. I am praying that you will experience the peace of Christ today as you seek His holy presence.

___________________________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.