Monday, July 16, 2007

Power Surge

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Isaiah 40, 41, 42

Isaiah 41:13 (NIV)

13 For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.

Good morning!

We had a power surge this morning. I tend to worry when the lights go off. We’ve had quite a few power outages in the last several years. They seem to come in waves of extreme cold or heat. The weather service has predicted that this will be one of the hottest days of the St. Louis summer season. I can’t wait. The older I get, the harder it is to deal with extreme heat. In times of peak temperatures, I worry a lot about my brothers and sisters on the streets. Where do they go to cool off, to get a shower, and rest? Power surges remind me that I’m spoiled rotten. I live in a comfortable, temperature controlled home. I really don’t know what it is like to suffer every day in extreme temperatures.

When the lights go off, I’m forced to stop what I’m doing. It gives me pause to think. This morning’s pause lasted approximately thirty minutes. I was reading and writing when the power outage interrupted my morning. Sometimes, just like our computer systems, we have to completely disconnect in order to get a better connection. It’s like a mental reboot – power surges force us to stop and regroup. Maybe God wanted more of my attention and the only way He knew to do it was to pull the plug for a little while. Does God ever do that to you?

I’ve pulled the plug a number of times in my life. There are experiences that stop us in our tracks and force us to redirect our path. Adversity seems to get most people’s attention. We struggle with loss – the loss of a loved one, the loss of a job, the loss of a college scholarship, the loss caused from sudden illness, an accident, or a mental melt down. Extreme situations force us to stop and think. Losses can be big wins, when we are willing to take time to re-evaluate our life. I’ve discovered that I can see the clearest in the darkness of early morning, just before the sun comes up in the sky. There are times when I would much rather sleep. I know when I’m sitting in my study, wrapped the warmth of His love, the light that shines through the darkness of the day is brighter than that of the noonday sun.

Today’s power surge made me stop and start over. It seemed a little inconvenient, until I sat back down at my computer and realized what He revealed in the darkness. If you are finding yourself caught in a power surge this morning, take time to embrace your down time. He will find a way to get our attention. May the power surge you experience interrupt your busy life and redirect your thoughts to the Lord. Embrace the darkness, for in His light, all things become clear.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: the power surges you experience in life prompt you to take hold of the right hand of the Father. He speaks in the darkness, “Do not fear; I will help you.”

___________________________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.