Tuesday, July 17, 2007

He calls us by name

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Isaiah 43, 44, 45

Isaiah 43:1-3 (NIV)

“Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel; your Savior.”

Good morning!

How does someone know when they have been called? Every time my cell phone rings, I know someone is trying to reach me. A voice mail message reminds me to check in and respond. My grandchildren definitely know how to get my attention. As soon as I walk into the house, I hear their joyful greeting, “Nanny! Nanny! Nanny!” And that is the sweetest sound of all. Ginger, our parents’ cocker spaniel, calls my name every time she sees me, but not with audible words. I see her friendly face, with tongue hanging out and tail wagging. I can hear her cheerful bark greeting me as I come around the corner, and I know without a doubt I’m about to get loved on. She cannot wait to jump up on her hind legs and give me puppy kisses and furry hugs. Oh, the sheer joy of seeing someone you love! Dogs set the bar at radical hospitality. We can learn a lot from them.

Isaiah understood what it means to be called. From the moment that burning lump of charcoal touched his lips and removed his sin, the call of the Lord became crystal clear to Isaiah. He could hear God calling out his name, and Isaiah did not hesitate to respond. God is calling out your name today. Can you hear Him calling you? Will you answer when He calls?

There is an indescribable peace that comes from knowing we have been redeemed. The Lord tells us to have no fear – for we have been redeemed, once and for all. He knows your name! He knew who you were before you were born. He knows you better than you know yourself. And He chooses to walk with you and talk with you, and remain by your side every step of the way. God promises He will go with you through the water, the river, the fire and flame. He is there in sheer moments of joy, and in the pit of utter despair. You are not alone. He is with you today, tomorrow and forevermore. This is the peace that can only come through intimate relationship, radical love, and the saving grace of Jesus Christ.

God knows who you are. He loves you. He extends His peace to you this morning. Can you hear God calling your name? Take a moment today to think about God’s call upon your life. How will you choose to answer Him?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: the call of the Lord to become crystal clear. He is waiting for you to respond. Will you answer the call?

___________________________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.