Friday, July 06, 2007

Drinking from the wells of salvation

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Isaiah 10, 11, 12

Isaiah 12:1-3 (NIV)

1 In that day you will say: “I will praise you, O Lord. Although you were angry with me, your anger has turned away and you have comforted me. 2 Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord, is my strength and my song; He has become my salvation. 3 With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation.”

Proverbs 4:20-23 (NIV)

20 My son, pay attention to what I say; listen closely to my words. 21 Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart; 22 for they are life to those who find them and health to a man’s whole body. 23 Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.

Good morning!

When I was a little girl, I enjoyed visiting my grandparents’ farm. No matter what the weather, we would pile into our family automobile and make a three and one-half hour journey along the rural highways to their farm, located just outside of Eldon, Missouri. My grandparents lived in two-story house, situated at the top of their property, overlooking some of the finest land in the Ozarks. It was an idyllic location, where every season of the year was simply breathtaking from where I sat, playing with my dolls, on the screened-in back porch.

My grandparents drank water from the well they dug together as newlyweds. My grandfather built the enclosed back porch around the water well so my grandmother would not have to step outside every time she needed another bucket. Drawing water from the well was a two-man job, unless, of course, you had the elbow grease of my grandmother. She was one strong woman! She could pump the well with her left hand, while pulling the heavy bucket of water up from the ground by the rope with her right hand. This water was sweeter than any bottled water I’ve ever tasted, and it was always ice cold. Refreshing and thirst-quenching, that water nourished our bodies and souls. And to my delight, this well never ran dry! Whenever we needed another drink of water, we knew we could count on the wellspring rising up from the ground below.

Isaiah understood the sheer joy of drawing eternal water from the wellspring of salvation. By our Lord Jesus Christ, we can receive new life through water and the Spirit. It is the thirst-quenching song of salvation we raise each day to the One who saves us. Surely it is God who saves me; I will trust in Him and not be afraid. The Lord of life-giving water is my sure strength. He is my song. With joy I will draw from the deep, from the wells of salvation, and my thirst will be forever quenched by His amazing grace, forgiveness and love.

There is nothing better than the wellspring of life we experience in relationship with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Are you thirsty this morning? Are you looking for someone to quench the thirsting in your soul? Sing the song of Isaiah with me, and let the love of God through Jesus pour over your heart today. He will meet your deepest longing and give you a brand new life, when you choose to take a drink from the wellspring of salvation.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: a thirst-quenching drink from the well-spring of life. Jesus came to draw the water for you and for me. Take time to be refreshed in His Word today. Are you ready to taste and see that the Lord is good?

___________________________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.