Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Celebrating Freedom

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Isaiah 4, 5, 6; Psalm 104

Isaiah 6:5-8 (NIV)

[Isaiah said] 5 “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.” 6 Then one of the seraphs flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. 7 With it he touched my mouth and said, “See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for.” 8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?” And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Psalm 104:33-34 (NIV)

33 I will sing to the Lord all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live. 34 May my meditation be pleasing to Him, as I rejoice in the Lord.

Good morning!

Today is the day our nation celebrates its freedom! I’ve been thanking God for the freedoms I enjoy in my life. A great price was paid for the privilege to live in a democratic society, where we can freely worship the Lord and speak of His amazing love without fear of stoning, maiming or death. Christian brothers and sisters in other parts of the world struggle each day to share the Gospel message. By sharing their faith, they understand they place themselves and their families in harm’s way. I applaud their courage and faithfulness to Christ even in extreme adversity. I’ve never personally experienced that difficult test of faith. Have you?

When the Lord called Isaiah to speak His Word to the people, he was scared to death! He wondered why God would choose him, a man of unclean lips. Scripture teaches that our lips express what the heart truly believes. Isaiah knew he needed cleansing from the inside out. When the angel of the Lord touched Isaiah’s lips with the burning coal from the heavenly altar of sacrifice, Isaiah realized that it was God who purified him in that holy moment. When we humble our hearts and confess our imperfections, God touches us with the fire of His Holy Spirit, and we know, without a doubt, we’ve been purified from the inside out.

There is a freedom in knowing that your sins have been cleansed by the Master’s hand. It is easier to say yes to the Lord when you know, without a doubt, you’ve been washed from the inside out. When the Father said, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?” It was Isaiah who answered without hesitation, “Here am I. Send me!”

For many Americans, the holiday will be spent grilling meat over a hot barbecue grill, swimming and playing in the sun, followed by an evening of spectacular lights and sounds erupting in the skies above. While we celebrate our freedom, our men and women in military service are giving themselves sacrificially to the cause of freedom and democracy around the world. We must remember with grateful hearts those who have answered the call to serve, and have lost their lives in the process.

Jesus Christ, the only Son of the Living God, came to earth and sacrificed His life so that we could experience true freedom and everlasting life in Him. Take time today to thank the Lord of life for the freedom you have in Him. When Jesus sets you free, you are free indeed!

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: ears to hear the Lord calling your name. He has purified your heart with His blood, and now He is calling out your name. Who will go for us? Whom shall I send? Are you ready to answer, “Here am I. Send me!”

___________________________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.