Sunday, June 03, 2007

Now where did I put those water wings?

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Ezra 9, 10; Psalm 93

Psalm 93:3-5 (NIV)

3 The seas have lifted up, O Lord, the seas have lifted up their voice; the seas have lifted up their pounding waves. 4 Mightier than the thunder of the great waters, mightier than the breakers of the sea – the Lord on high is mighty. 5 Your statutes stand firm; holiness adorns your house for endless days, O Lord.

Matthew 14:25-29 (NIV)

25 During the fourth watch of the night, Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26 When the disciples saw Him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear. 27 But Jesus immediately said to them, “Take courage! It is I. Do not be afraid.” 28 “Lord, if it is you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.” 29 “Come,” He said.

Good morning!

When I took a dip in the pool last weekend with my grandbabies, I couldn’t help but giggle when I saw four-year-old Joshua in his swim trunks. He was wearing a newfangled contraption called a body suit. It looks a little bit like a gymnastics leotard with shorts. Inside the chest area of this suit are two large floatation devices. They look like large balloons from the outside, yet, when I touched them, they felt like Styrofoam. This made young Joshua look like was ripped with chest muscles, kind of like the Incredible Hulk or Mister Incredible. The beauty of a built-in floatation device is that you no longer need those pesky water wings to keep you from sinking to the bottom of the pool. Isn’t it amazing what lengths parents will go to protect their children while they learn how to swim?

Jesus knew what His disciples would someday face as they traveled the dusty roads, preaching His message wherever they went. He wanted to give them a flotation device, something to hang onto, when the water became choppy and deep. It was no accident when Peter stepped out of the boat and began walking toward His Savior on the water. He almost made it, but suddenly became distracted at the disturbance occurring around his feet. When Peter took his eyes off the Lord and looked down, he began to drown.

I forgot to pack my water wings this weekend. I thought I had them with me; yet, I could not find them when I emptied out my suitcase. I would love to step out of the boat today and walk on the water toward Jesus. If I do, I wonder whether I will suddenly sink to the bottom like a two-thousand pound anchor. After the pasta dinner I consumed last night, it is certainly a possibility. I need some faith-filled floatation devices NOW! Do you know where can I find them? Do you know how much do they cost?

I can tell you there is a lot of water walking going on at Annual Conference this weekend. I have watched in awe as people across our state step out of their boats and walk on the water toward their Savior. It takes great courage and a strong sense of direction for some to do the things they are doing to spread the Gospel message around the world where they live. There is a gentleman in our conference who collects and recycles empty soda cans, and chops firewood to fill an ark with $5,000 for Heifer International each year. This water walker keeps asking why certain people do not have their fundamental needs met while others have far too much. Another United Methodist congregation in the inner-city has opened its doors to the homeless. A concrete sidewalk is not a comfortable place to lay your head at night. The church fixes and serves approximately 300 free meals every day and provides counseling and hope to those who have no place to turn. Water walking is costly. It means risking your life, comfort and security for someone else. Are you brave enough to step out of your boat today to help someone in need?

Whew! Thank God I found my water wings this morning. I’m going to need Him more now than ever before. I’m stepping out of the boat, and I won’t look down. I won’t look back. I will keep my eyes focused on the Lord Jesus Christ and the destination He is calling me to. I will read my Bible and I will believe what it says. I will seek the Lord every morning in sincere and humble prayer, trusting Him to be my floatation device. He is all I need to succeed! When Jesus calls you to come to Him today, will you be willing to get out of your boat and walk across the water?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com


Pray for: water wings that work! If you will trust in the Lord Jesus Christ with all your heart, all your soul and all your strength and seek to serve Him with your life, you can walk on water today. What can you do to help your neighbor find hope for tomorrow? How can you make a lasting difference in the life of another? Are you willing to get out of the boat this morning? Ask Him to help you. I’ll see you at church today with my water wings firmly attached.

________________________________________
© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.