Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Can He have our undivided attention please?

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Nehemiah 7, 8; Psalms 94, 95

Nehemiah 8:2-3 (NIV)
2 So on the first day of the seventh month, Ezra the priest brought the Law before the assembly, which was made up of men and women and all who were able to understand. 3 And all the people listened attentively to the Book of the Law.

Psalm 95:19 (NIV)
When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul.

II Corinthians 5:21 (NIV)
God made Him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.


Good morning!

I need to practice listening attentively. Do you ever have trouble focusing? Sometimes I wonder just how much I might be missing out on from the Lord, because I’m simply not focused on Him. God likes to speak to me early in the morning. I know for some of you, this might stretch your sensibilities a bit far. Still, He tends to wake me up somewhere in the vicinity of 4am, sometimes a little earlier. He has been doing this for years. I like to get out of bed and stagger into His holy presence, with a Bible and cup of coffee in hand. I am learning how to wait for Him. I confess, however, I’m a slow learner. It's not always easy to drag out from under the covers in the middle of the night. I'm a lot like my crock pot, I keep simmering in the palm of His hand for hours on end. I wonder if I’ll ever be done enough to serve! Do you struggle with listening attentively to God? Can you hear Him when He speaks to you?

I wrestle with the constant chatter occurring every day in every way. When I’m not writing, I’m working, playing, reading, running, baking, cleaning, chatting online, and sleeping. Business and busyness keeps me from focusing my undivided attention upon Jesus. I truly believe the Lord wants each of us to give Him our undivided attention. Just how far will you allow the Lord to stretch you? How far would you go just to make time to sit in His presence for even an hour? Is He worth getting up for in the morning? Is He worth turning off the television for in the evening? Would you give up a lunch hour just to sit and talk to Him in your car? When your cell phone rings, I often wonder whether He is on the other end of that wireless transmission. If God spoke to your heart today, would you hear Him, or would your business and busyness get in the way of a heart-to-heart connection? How many of us are willing to make time on Saturday or Sunday to enter into a worship experience with the redeemer of our souls?

For me, it is a tug of war between selfishness and selflessness. The more time I spend focusing on me and the stuff of my life, the less time I spend bathing in the light of His love. When I shift my total focus and praise to my Lord, not seeking anything for myself other than the joy of sitting at His feet, all of the other stuff of life seems to fade away. It is not so important. People who lead busy lives have to prioritize well. It is the only way they can accomplish what they need to do in a twenty-four hour time slot. Hear me when I say that the Lord God Almighty is timeless. His timing is perfect in all things. He holds the moments of our lifetime in His hand. Every minute is a gift from Him. How can I not make time for my Savior, redeemer and dearest friend?

Sometimes I find it is easier to listen intently when I need to be consoled. Do you find yourself only turning to the Good Book for answers to problems you have created all on your own steam? We are definitely our own worst enemy. I have found an amazing freedom in Christ. When I lay myself down at the foot of the cross, His amazing, cleansing blood pours over me, and I can walk with Him, fully clothed in His righteousness alone. When you experience the covering of His righteousness over your heart, the desire to seek His presence becomes more and more important, and the things we do to please ourselves here on earth seem rather insignificant.

Take time to pick up the Word today and read it. If you do not like to read or fear you cannot make the time, invest in a good Bible CD. Would you be willing to turn off the radio talk shows and listen to God speak on your way to work today? When you seek His holy presence, He finds you, no matter where you are. Do not be surprised if the Lord begins to whisper in your ear while you sleep. The next time you wake up in the middle of the night with a foot cramp, back ache, or find yourself tossing and turning, realize that God may simply be trying to get your attention. He will keep your heart and mind in perfect peace, when you focus your whole heart on Him.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com


Pray for: the desire to lay aside some time each day to focus your whole heart on Jesus. He is trying to get your attention. Will you find time to sit in His holy presence today?
________________________________
© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.