Sunday, May 27, 2007

God speaks, especially when we are tired!

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: 2 Chronicles 27, 28; Psalms 88

Psalm 88:1-2, 9-10 (NIV)

1 O Lord, the God who saves me, day and night I cry out before you.

2May my prayer come before you; turn your ear to my cry.

9 I call to you, O Lord, every day; I spread my hands to you.

10 Do you show your wonders to the dead? Do those who are dead rise up and praise you?

Good morning!

Or at least I think it is. Three of our grandchildren had a “pajamas” party at Granny Deb and Pa’s house last night. We didn’t get much sleep. Yesterday, we spent part of the day at the park with our great niece Samantha, as she celebrated her first birthday. Being one is so much fun! Sam had her very own cake to eat. Have you ever given a little child a whole cake with rich, sugary icing to consume? I imagine Samantha and her parents did not sleep much last night either.

Whenever our grandchildren spend the night, they love to read stories before turning in. I read some of their favorite books last night. Jett is learning to read in school. He read to all of us, and then I read the books all three children had selected. Emily sat on my lap while Joshua and Jett leaned against my shoulders. They had a hard time winding down after the busy day in the park. Granny Deb was not the only one who was tired.

Sunday mornings are early rising days in our home. Jeff is up and at the church well before daybreak. He spends time in prayer and preparation before leading worship. I rise up to sit in His holy presence. A few quiet moments spent with the Lord give me the strength I need to meet whatever the day’s challenges may bring. Some mornings are easier to rise up than others. Today, our grandchildren decided they wanted to get up at 4am too, but their goal was to run and play, much to Granny Deb’s dismay. Today’s quiet moments disappeared in the pitter patter of tiny feet as I listened to the delighted squeals of three rambunctious children playing in the early morning light.

The Psalmist must have been exhausted when he cried out to the Lord early in the morning. He wondered if God was really listening. Day after day, he poured out his prayers of praise and petition. He cried out for help. Where are you? Can you hear me calling? When will you answer? When will your voice wake up the dead? Will you comfort your exhausted, tired servants, who need to feel you especially near today?

The Father heard the Psalmist’s plea that day; just like He hears each one of us. Some mornings are easier than others. When Jesus Christ came to us in the flesh, His message was clear – We hear you! We know you! We love you even though you’ve fallen away. Many of you are sick; some of you are dying in your sin. I have come to help you. Will you take my hand today?

Even when we are dead tired, God speaks. When life is hard and struggles are hard to overcome, He is here, and we do not walk alone. Take a few minutes this morning, open the scripture and allow the Lord of everlasting life to speak to your heart today. You may find it difficult to squeeze out a few quiet moments. Don’t give up! Come join me in the sanctuary. I’ll see you at Faith Church (with three grandchildren in tow.)

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: the assurance to know that God is with you, even when you are tired and discouraged. When we stop to listen, God speaks. Can you hear Him calling your name?

________________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.