Saturday, April 14, 2007

The Good Li_e

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: 2 Samuel 10, 11, 12; Psalm 63

II Samuel 11:27b (NIV)
27b But the thing David had done displeased the Lord.

Psalm 63: 6-8 (NIV)
6 On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night. 7 Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings. 8 My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.

Matthew 5:27-28 (NIV)
27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery.’ 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.”

John 8:7 (NIV)
7 When they kept on questioning Him [Jesus], he straightened up and said to them, “If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.”


Good morning!

One of my favorite things to do every night after work is to talk to my prayer partners online. One of the many joys of email is that you can speak with friends from all over the world, in tiny quips. Of course, I tend to write mini-novels, but I’m sure you already know that. Email is definitely different from any other form of communication. When we engage one-on-one with a person, either over the telephone or in person, one must devote a block of time to listening and responding. This is a time-consuming process that can sometimes go on for hours on end. Email technology is a unique relational format. I can open my email in-box and read a message from my sister, write a response and press send. Then I leave the computer to do laundry, eat dinner, watch a little television, or read a book. When I return to check my in-box later that evening, I am delighted to see that my friends have replied! Email is a beautiful thing!

I love chatting with my prayer partners. We focus on how Jesus speaks to us each day, through the study of His Word and in prayer. We discuss the things that get in the way of our relationship with Him, and look for ways to overcome the inconsistencies of our faith walk. We pray for each other online. I know in my heart that when I need a spiritual sister to talk to, I can find her waiting online to listen and respond. The prayer partners I have come to know and love, adore Jesus Christ, and it is apparent every time I read their words.

Last night when I opened an e-mail from my prayer sister in Kansas City, she was talking about the struggle of not letting your possessions possess you. She was typing quickly and meant to type the phrase “the good life.” When she went back to spell check her work, she discovered that she had typed “the good li_e.” Many might call that a Freudian slip; personally, I think God allows us to “slip up” just to make a point. More than anything else, I believe that our Lord wants us to be completely devoted to Him. Jesus set the bar at purity by the time He spent in seeking out His Father’s face. Jesus spent hours upon hours alone with God in prayer. They were connected in ways that we can only begin to understand in the human realm. If we truly want to serve the Lord, we must commit to putting Him first in every area of our life – laying down the things that hinder or bind us, and purposely walking away from the temptation to sin.

Like David discovered, it can be easy to fall into the sin pit. The good life becomes a lie, especially when we take our eyes off the Master. We allow greed and self-centeredness to dictate our behavior. Whenever I take my eyes off the Lord, there is no doubt that I’m headed for a fall. He absolutely has to be my center and focus, each and every day. When David recognized his sin for what it truly was, he confessed and repented. Have you ever tried to lie to God? Did you try to bargain with Him, reason out why your moral failure could be justified based upon your life’s circumstances? How does it feel to allow that line of communication to become severed over time? There is no justification when we break God’s law. And scripture and life experiences teaches that every one of us has broken His law, many times over.

The Good News today is that God’s mercy endures forever. If we will humble our heart, confess our sin, seek forgiveness, and turn around, the blood of Jesus can cleanse and redeem us, once and for all. Late at night, as I lay on my bed, I remember with great regret the times I chose my way over His way. I’m thankful that He remains with me through the watches of the night. Because Christ is my only help, my soul clings to Him, and His right hand upholds me every step of the way.

Let’s not mince words. Every time we turn away from the Lord to follow our own selfish desires, we commit spiritual adultery. God wants our complete and undivided attention as we walk through this life. What we think may be a good life could be just a good lie. Stop kidding yourself. Christ waits for you to come home to Him. I’ll see you at church this weekend!

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com


Pray for: forgiveness! When we confess our sins, He is faithful to hear and forgive us. Let the blood of Christ pour over your heart today. Turn around and follow the Lord!

____________________________
© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.