Sunday, April 08, 2007

Finding the Key to Salvation

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: I Samuel 23, 24, 25

Luke 24:1-3 (NIV)
1 On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb. 2 They found the stone rolled away from the tomb, 3 but when they entered, they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus.

Matthew 16:19a (NIV)
19a I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven.

Revelation 1:17-18 (NIV)
When I saw Him, I fell at His feet as though dead. Then He placed His right hand on me and said, “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead and behold I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.”


Good morning!

“Honey, I cannot find my car key!” I am regularly sleuthing, at least once a week, scavenging the parsonage in a panic for that key. I lay it down and then I cannot remember where I put it. I’m certain this is some sort of medical disorder, like Sometimers (Sometimes I know, and Sometimes I don’t), or maybe it is just Satan playing with me. The Father must look down from Heaven and snicker. It’s a good thing that the master plan included permanently attaching my head to my body, for if the Lord had made that feature optional, I’m sure I’d lose it too. I confess that I have been known to be late to meetings and worship because I spent thirty minutes looking for that disappearing key. It’s a funny thing about automobiles: they just don’t run without them. Why is that? I’ve drug my spouse and children out of bed to help me look for them. That's one reason why my kids all moved out. Here's a tried and true secret to get your children out of the nest. Make them get up everyday and help you look for that key. It works! One time, I lost my car key in the car and I knew it was there, but I simply could not find it. My poor husband had to crawl around with a flashlight until he found it for me. He is a saint. Please don't tell him I said that. Ladies, can I tell you - this is not a term of endearment. I need to put a cowbell on that thing. Why is it so easy to misplace a key? I’ve tried using large key rings, leaving them in the same place every day, to no avail. If I didn’t know better, I would insist that key grew legs and walked right off the counter top. Do you ever lose your key? Probably not. I’m sure it’s just me.

When we study geography in school, the key helps us identify important markings on a map. For those of us who are actually willing to pull out a map and use it, the key can be a very resourceful tool. It’s kind of like learning how to read the directions first. Are you the personality type that picks up a set of instructions and spends five minutes reviewing the key before launching into a project? Or, do you prefer to open the box, pull out the one thousand easy-to-assemble parts and begin your own path to victory? I’m not exactly sure when I began to think I can do things by myself with no help; but it must have been around the age of twelve to eighteen months. Now that is maturity in motion!

The stone that barricaded the tomb where Jesus lay had to weigh a ton. Have you ever wondered how the women who went to the tomb on the first day of the week had planned on getting inside? Someone must have kept an automatic stone rolling device in their pocket - you know, like a garage door opener. Maybe the women believed that the Roman guard posted at the tomb would help them roll the stone away. They needed a key to get inside that morning. How ironic that the key to salvation had absolutely nothing to do with human effort. The Lord of life held the key in His nail-scarred hands.

If you know the Lord Jesus Christ, you have found the key to salvation! When Jesus died, He didn’t stay in the grave. He took a little detour to Hell and back, breaking the chains of sin and death forever. He defeated the evil one, once and for all. Jesus kept His Word. He is the key. If you are stuck somewhere today because you have lost the key and cannot seem to find it, pick up your Bible and read Matthew 28, Mark 16, Luke 24, and John 20. If you cannot find a Bible, come see me at Faith Church today. I will be giving them away to anyone who needs a key.

Jesus Christ is risen today! He holds the only key you will ever need to be truly free! Happy Easter, dear ones! I’ll see you this morning at Faith Church. Just look for the short lady in the green hat, dancing in the aisle!

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com


Pray for: Jesus Christ to become your Lord and Savior today. If you ask Him, He will unlock the door that you’ve been longing to walk through. If you have lost your way, this is your lucky day! Cry out to Jesus and live!
____________________________
© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.