Monday, March 12, 2007

Wandering or wondering?

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Deuteronomy 27, 28, 29

Deuteronomy 27:9-10 (NIV)
9 Then Moses and the priests, who are Levites, said to all Israel, “Be silent, O Israel, and listen! You have now become the people of the Lord your God. 10 Obey the Lord your God and follow His commands and decrees that I give you today.”

Good morning!

When I sat down this morning to read and pray, the room seemed very dark to me. I glanced at the free-standing lamp next to the rocking chair and noticed four of the five light bulbs had burned out. No wonder the room was dark! Fortunately, I had several spare light bulbs in the storage closet. Isn’t it amazing how much more we can see when we change the light bulb? What was once a shadowy, dark space is now filled with a bright light! It is much easier to see with the lights on.

As the Israelites were preparing to cross over into the land that God had promised them, Moses and the Levites cautioned the people to be silent and listen to what the Lord was saying. Things were different now. Their wandering and wondering was about to end. They had become the people of God and as such, they were held to a higher expectation and privilege. Moses and the priests reminded the faithful to obey the Lord’s lead and command in every aspect of their daily life. The faithful would receive blessing after blessing. The unfaithful would experience curse after curse. It was time to choose to live in the light of God’s love or to continue their wandering and wondering in the dark.

What is it like to grope around in the dark? There were times in my life when I felt much more comfortable feeling my way. Living in darkness was much easier because I didn’t have to see my sin and shortcomings in the bright light of day. During worship service Sunday, my pastor made a profound statement. He said, “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Do you find it easier to take a long, hard look at your imperfections and address them, or would you prefer to feel your way in the shadowy darkness where your flaws can be somewhat concealed?

I have spent many years wandering and wondering in the dark. It might be easier to hide from the world there, but the truth is, I was never able to hide from the Lord. If I looked for the most secluded and dark space I could find, it would not be too far from the light of His love. God seems to find me wherever I am. He exposes my flaws, lights a path, and extends His loving arm to me every morning. He allows me the freedom to choose His way or my way. I can continue to wander around in the dark and accept the consequences for that choice, or I can choose to reach up, take His hand, and allow Him to lead the way.

Personally, I like His light. It is much easier to breathe when I’m standing in the light of His love. I can see the dangers around me and am able to avoid falling into the snares of sin when I trust the Lord to lead. His hand is strong and His way is sure. I am at peace, knowing that He will never forsake or abandon me, even in the most difficult of situations.

Are you wandering around in the dark? Do you need to change the light bulb? Stop and listen to the Word of the Lord. He is calling out to you. Can you see His hand? You may be sitting in the darkness right now, but you are not alone and you cannot hide from His love. Choose this day to look up and take His hand. He will lead you into the brilliant Sonlight. Allow the light and life of Jesus Christ to become your light and life as you choose to trust and obey Him this morning. Stop wandering around in the dark, and choose to be lost in the wonder of His mercy and grace!

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: When we face our sin, confessing it to the Lord, He will forgive and lead us out of the darkness and into His light. It’s time to change the light bulb. Choose life! Choose to follow Jesus Christ today.
____________________________
© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.