Tuesday, March 13, 2007

He's got your back!

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Deuteronomy 30, 31, 32

Deuteronomy 30:2-4 (NIV)
2 And when you and your children return to the Lord your God and obey Him with all your heart and with all your soul according to everything I command you today, 3 then the Lord your God will restore your fortunes and have compassion on you and gather you again from all the nations where He scattered you. 4 Even if you have been banished to the most distant land under the heavens, from there the Lord your God will gather you and bring you back.

Good morning!

The book of Deuteronomy is filled with instruction. We read about blessings and curses, assertion of free will and the consequences our choices bring. The Lord continually invites His people to come back to Him. If they will just honor and obey Him in all things, putting His will first in their life, He will gather them up and bring them back home.

It is truly comforting to know that when I’m daily seeking His face, worshipping Him with all my heart and serving Him with my life, God has my back. He promises to watch over me, walk with me, and He sustains me, even unto death. I have the promise of everlasting life through the blood of His Son, Jesus Christ. No matter where I am or what circumstance I may face, the Lord never leaves. His love and forgiveness is the greatest fortune I will ever receive. The Father’s compassion and mercy lift me up every morning. Do you know what it feels like to be gathered up and brought back into the loving hand of the Lord?

I’ve been reading an awesome book entitled Total Abandon. The author, Gary Witherall, shares his story of sold-out faith and total abandon to the Lord Jesus Christ. Together, he and his wife Bonnie felt a call of the Lord to serve as missionaries in Sidon, Lebanon. It was there that Bonnie was martyred for her faith. How far would you go to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with others? Would you leave the safety of your home and travel into dangerous territory to tell others about Christ? Are you willing to love your enemies, even if it means losing your own life? This is a question I ask myself every morning when I get up. When the Lord calls me to go, will I answer Him? Would you answer His call?

When we walk into unfamiliar territory, the Lord goes before us. He clears the path and makes a way. It is time for the Israelites to cross over into the Promised Land. Will they go into a dangerous place, trusting and obeying the Lord’s lead? Can they see that He will cross over ahead of them, and watch their back? Interestingly, it takes the “cross over” to move from death to everlasting life. Without the bridge gap of the cross of Jesus Christ, we would all be stranded in the desert forever. Crossing over into the Promised Land is something we choose to do every day. Are you crossing over or staying put?

Jesus Christ went to the cross so that we could move forward today with confidence. He has our back, and will be with us every step of the way. All we have to do is say, Yes, Lord. I’ll trust you to lead. Help me to follow you without fear or hesitation. Let me always look to you for direction. You are my compass – point me in the way you would have me go. Give me your words, make my heart your home. You gave new life to me and now, I give it back to you. Amen.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: Courage! The Lord your God goes before you and He has your back. Will you choose to follow Him today?
____________________________
© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.