Saturday, March 31, 2007

Cold feet

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Ruth 1, 2, 3, 4

Ruth 3:5-11 (NIV)
5 [Ruth said to her mother-in-law Naomi] “I will do whatever you say,” Ruth answered. 6 So she went down to the threshing floor and did everything her mother-in-law told her to do. 7 When Boaz had finished eating and drinking and was in good spirits, he went over to lie down at the far end of the grain pile. Ruth approached quietly, uncovered his feet and lay down. 8 In the middle of the night something startled the man, and he turned and discovered a woman lying at his feet. 9 “Who are you?” he asked. “I am your servant Ruth,” she said. “Spread the corner of your garment over me, since you are my kinsman-redeemer.” 10 “The Lord bless you, my daughter,” he replied. “This kindness is greater than that which you showed earlier: You have not run after the younger men, whether rich or poor. 11 And now, my daughter, do not be afraid. I will do for you all you ask.”


Good morning!

Thirty years ago on May 28, 1977, I stood in the parlor of Stephan Memorial United Methodist Church, gazing at my reflection in the dressing room mirror. My wedding gown had been pressed and hemmed. It was perfect! The gown was embellished with appliqué daisies and seed pearls. The neckline and sleeves were transparent, made from sheer, silky fabric. A satin ribbon bow complimented the back of the beaded bodice. I wore a full-length veil, trimmed in daisy edging. I was afraid to sit down for fear I would wrinkle the back of my gown. I wore white sandals that day. It had rained earlier that morning, but now the sun was shining brightly through the stained glass windows of the church’s sanctuary.

The night before my wedding, I sat for the last time in my childhood bedroom, giving myself a pedicure and thinking about how the next twenty-four hours would change my life forever. My feet were really cold. Was I nervous? There were no butterflies in my stomach. Should I have been scared? No, I was convinced I had made the right choice. Yet, my feet felt like ice cubes. I wondered if they would ever warm up.

Do you have cold feet occasionally? This is something I have suffered with for as long as I can remember. I wondered if Ruth's feet were cold when she buried her husband in Moab. I could not imagine how Ruth must have felt when she chose to stay with her widowed mother-in-law, and traveled with her to Bethlehem. What kind of compassion did this brave young woman have? She had lost her inheritance, her family, her home. Yet, Ruth made the right choice when she committed to stay with Naomi. Still, she must have been a bit nervous. Ruth did not know what the future would hold, but she trusted in the One who held her future. Ruth’s obedience and faithfulness to Naomi is impressive. Would I have been so brave had I walked in Ruth’s footsteps?

Ruth obeyed Naomi’s instruction and went to the threshing floor that night, full of faith. As an act of respect for Israel’s custom and law, she chose to lie down at her master’s uncovered feet. By doing so, Ruth acknowledged Boaz to be her kinsman-redeemer. He was the one she would trust and obey, knowing Boaz had a good and honest heart. He would take exceptional care of her family. I wonder if Ruth had cold feet that night. It was the uncovering of Boaz’s feet that probably woke him in the middle of the night. When my feet get cold, I cannot sleep. Can you imagine how Boaz must have felt when he saw young Ruth, sleeping peacefully at his feet?

I remember my wedding day as if it were yesterday. When I think about that special moment thirty years ago, I am reminded that I am preparing my heart for an even greater wedding someday. It is that precious moment when I will forever be transformed. I will lay myself down at the feet of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I wonder if my feet will be cold on the day when I see my Savior face-to-face. I hardly think so. If God can melt my heart each morning as I sit in my earthly home worshiping Him, I’m certain that when I walk the streets of gold with Him, my feet will never be cold again.

Trusting and obeying the Lord is not always easy. We may not see the future clearly now, but we can see the feet of our master shining in the distant light. He is worth following, even when my feet are cold. Will you choose to go to the Lord’s threshing floor today, and lay yourself down at the feet of Jesus?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com


Pray for: faith to follow the Lord in every circumstance. He can take your cold feet and warm them up in the light of His amazing love. Do not be afraid! Jesus Christ will take care of you; He will be there for you, every step of the way.
____________________________
© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.