Thursday, March 01, 2007

American Idols

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Numbers 32, 33, 34

Numbers 33:50-53 (NIV)
50 On the plains of Moab by the Jordan across from Jericho the Lord said to Moses, 51 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘When you cross the Jordan into Canaan, 52 drive out all the inhabitants of the land before you. Destroy all their carved images and their cast idols, and demolish all their high places. 53 Take possession of the land and settle in it, for I have given you the land to possess.’”

Revelation 9:20-21 (NIV)
20 The rest of mankind that were not killed by these plagues still did not repent of the work of their hands; they did not stop worshipping demons, and idols of gold, silver, bronze, stone and wood – idols that cannot see or hear or walk. 21 Nor did they repent of their murders, their magic arts, their sexual immorality or their thefts.

Good morning!

We are now one week into the season of Lent. Have you been squeezing your nail? I’m surprised that I don’t have a permanent imprint of that nail in my hand from holding it so tight, especially when I’m driving down the highway. What a sacrifice by the One who loves us so much more than we can even begin to comprehend! Our Creator gives His children the gift of life, the ability to inhabit and care for His land and each other; freedom to acknowledge and receive our spiritual inheritance. The Lord blesses us with a daily desire to seek relationship with Him. He meets our needs one by one by supplying food and water, shelter and shade, sunlight for seeing and darkness for resting – blessing upon blessing. He extends forgiveness to the child who chooses to repent and turn around; He gives everlasting life through the blood sacrifice of His only Son, Jesus Christ. Then the Lord God Almighty does an even greater thing. He whispers in the wind and flame, “Will you choose me in all things?” He who has ultimate power, the ruler of all; the one who has final authority and to whom every knee shall bow, gives humanity the most perplexing gift of all – free will.

God told Moses to instruct the Israelites to drive out the inhabitants of Canaan when they cross the Jordan River into the land He has promised. They were to destroy the carved, graven images of man-made, manufactured gods, bringing false hope to a lost and hurting world. Any idol that diverted their attention from the Lord God Almighty was to be destroyed. What idols have I placed in front of the Lord today? If God loves His children with such fervor, shouldn’t I love them too? Do I worry more about the money in my personal bank account, or will I write that check to help a stranger pay for rent and utilities they cannot afford? Do I care more about my hungry neighbors pushing all their worldly possessions around in grocery carts and sleeping under cardboard boxes in city alleys, than which fast food restaurant I will stop at for dinner tonight? Am I more interested in getting a manicure, having a face lift, or accessorizing my wardrobe than feeding a starving child? If God loves every person the way He loves me, shouldn’t I be able to see His holy face in the lives of my co-workers, supervisors, extended family and next-door neighbors? Am I shortchanging God? When I allow someone to die from lack of medical care or starvation, am I committing murder?

We face greater and more devastating plagues than the spoils of war, fires, floods, famines, and earthquakes. The plagues that seethe within the depths of our hearts – self-centeredness, intolerance, bigotry, neglect and sheer apathy – these idols will eat us alive and separate us from the Lord if we do not lay them down at the foot of the cross now.

Today, I find myself on my face, repenting. How much will you choose to give up during this season of Lent? How hard are you willing to squeeze the nail? Will you choose to worship and serve the Lord by reaching out to your lost and hurting neighbor? Would you lay down your comfortable lifestyle, your collectibles, priceless treasures, your wish list and all of those precious American idols, to honor and obey the Lord?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: compassion. How far will you choose to reach in order to help your neighbor live, in the name of Jesus?

____________________________
© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.