Sunday, January 07, 2007

Trouble sleeping?

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Genesis 12-13; Psalm 10

Psalm 10:17-18 (NIV)
17 You hear, O Lord, the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry, 18 defending the fatherless and the oppressed, in order that man, who is of the earth, may terrify no more.

Psalm 77:1-4 (NIV)
1 I cried out to God for help; I cried out to God to hear me. 2 When I was in distress, I sought the Lord; at night I stretched out untiring hands and my soul refused to be comforted. 3 I remembered you O God, and I groaned; I mused, and my spirit grew faint. 4 You kept my eyes from closing; I was too troubled to speak.

Matthew 7:33-34 (NIV)
But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Good morning!

Do you have trouble sleeping? Most of the time, I can fall asleep within minutes of laying my head on the pillow. It is a wonderful blessing to be able to sleep peacefully at night. I have found great comfort in reciting scripture while I’m falling asleep. One of my favorite scriptures is the invitation of Jesus to His disciples, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.” That little nugget can be found in the Book of Mark. Check out Chapter 6, verse 31.

There are times when the Lord wakes me from a sound sleep simply to pray. He may call me to stay up and pray, seeking His face throughout the night. My soul rests in the protection of His hand, especially in the dark, when the only sounds I hear come from the ticking of the clock on the fireplace mantle and an occasional recycling noise from the water softener in our basement. Jesus reminds me that He is with me, not only in the moments when I am consciously awake and thinking about Him, but He remains with me even when I’m sleeping. My soul continues to cry out to Him, and He hears each and every prayer. I can rest peacefully in His divine protection. I am never separated from His love.

The best prayers I know are found in the words given to us in Scripture. My thoughts are simple and insignificant compared to His holy Word, that is steeped in the Spirit and so much higher than anything I can even begin to comprehend. We should remember to pray the Word at all times. It is appropriate in every circumstance. His Word brings rest to my weary soul, and a peace that surpasses my wildest hopes and dreams.

If you find yourself all worked up when it’s time to go to sleep; if you are worrying about tomorrow or what the morning light may bring, lay your burdens down at the foot of the cross. Give your life’s worries to Jesus. Especially when you experience moments of distress and grief, seek the Lord’s holy face in prayer. He will hear the groaning of your soul, and you will find your comfort and rest in Him alone.

Won’t you come away with Jesus today? He will take you to a quiet place so you can get some rest.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com


Pray for: peace that passes all understanding. Pray for a quiet place to rest in the safety and shelter of Christ. Cast all of your burdens on Him, because He cares so very much for you.
____________________________
© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.