Friday, December 15, 2006

Singing in my sleep

Isaiah 12:1-3 (NIV)
1 In that day you will say: “I will praise you, O Lord. Although you were angry with me, your anger has turned away and you have comforted me.

2 Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord, is my strength and my song; He has become my salvation.
3 With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation.”

Good morning!

Isn’t this a great day to be alive! I woke up this morning singing. Do you ever wake up singing praise to God? Sometimes the words and melodies to my favorite praise songs will run through my mind and I just can’t help singing them, even in my sleep. I know I’m weird. You can pray for me!

This morning’s music is courtesy of author/composer Thomas O. Chisholm. He penned the words to one of my favorite hymns, Great Is Thy Faithfulness. William M. Runyan crafted the melody for these beautiful words, and the hymn was first published in the Songs of Salvation and Service, a collection of Runyan’s favorite praise songs. Ironically, the words that kept running through my mind while I slept were a phrase in the third verse of this hymn, “Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow.” It is no coincidence that I would hear these words, especially on a day like today.

Strength is something I wish I had a little more of, especially upper body strength. After I had neck surgery, I was cautioned by my physician not to do a lot of heavy lifting and pulling. I used to be a whole lot stronger; unfortunately what little upper body muscle I once had is now mush. There was a time when I could move heavy furniture with ease. I could rearrange the living room all by myself. Not now – it is a stretch to move the sofas so I can vacuum.

I think it is natural for human beings to rely on their own strength for so many of the day-to-day things we do. It takes discipline and determination to get up every day and function. Our work ethic and desire to excel in everything we do develop from an inner strength and sense of self-worth that prompts us to always do our best and never give up. Sometimes it is not enough to be strong-willed. In my life, there have been moments of sheer success, followed by a resounding failure. Did I intend to bomb out? Was my inner strength and determination any different from the day before? No. For me, I inch forward only to take a couple of steps back. I’ve learned that relying on my own strength to accomplish the job I have to do will never be enough. I need to tap into the well of salvation, God’s unlimited power source of strength, comfort and joy.

Today, I find myself facing a little piece of the unknown. I don’t know that I have the strength I need to do what needs to be done. I do know where my strength will come from – it will come from Christ in me. His love and salvation will sustain me all day long. I may not feel very strong today, and yet, I can rely on His amazing strength to see me through. He is my song, my life and my light. His faithfulness to me is great, and the strength he gives today fills me with hope for each and every tomorrow. I will trust Him and I will not be afraid.

If you find yourself needing a little extra strength to do what God has called you to, ask Him to give you His strength today. You may find yourself singing in your sleep!

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: an extra measure of God’s strength, as you sing His praises and revel in your salvation. Christ died for you! Isn’t this a great day to be alive in Him!

____________________________
© Copyright 2006, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.