Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Gray hair days

Isaiah 46:4 (NIV)
4 Even to your old age and gray hairs I am He, I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

Psalm 71:17-18 (NIV)
17 Since my youth, O God, you have taught me, and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds. 18 Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me O God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come.

Proverbs 16:31 (NIV)
31 Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life.


Good morning!

I give up. It’s going to be a gray hair day today. As I was dressing for work, I took a look in the mirror and groaned. Mirrors have a way of doing that. Our reflection is not always what we would like it to be. I remember the day I pulled my first gray hair out at twenty-two years of age. I was mortified! I had just delivered our second child, a son, and I should have known he would was going to be a handful then! Now, twenty-five years later, I have more gray hair than I can pull. In fact, I can’t even keep it covered with a little color; the only thing I know to do is add a few highlights and hope for the best.

Some folks have gorgeous gray hair. My grandmother turned completely white headed as a teenager. She had the face of an angel, framed with a beautiful head of silvery white hair, like a halo, shadowing her face. If my gray hair could look like my grandmother’s, I don’t think I’d be complaining. My gray hair is unruly. Some of it likes to stick straight up in the mornings. Fortunately, I have a wonderful hairdresser who knows how to tame the gray hair days of my life. She studied long and hard at cosmetology school to help people just like me.

King David, King Solomon and the prophet Isaiah must have known something about gray hair days. Isn’t it comforting to know that our heavenly Father, who loves us in our youthful exuberance, sustains us as we age? Our God carries us through the years, crowning us with wisdom and splendor. Sometimes the mirror can be deceiving. While it may reflect our outward physical appearance, it cannot begin to capture the utter joy that comes from experiencing abundant life. True beauty has very little to do with how we look; it has everything to do with knowing the One who makes all things beautiful in His time.

Is your spirit as shiny as the gray hairs on top of your head? When people see you today, will they only notice the gray on your head, or the song in your heart? There are days just like today, when I must remind myself that my gray hair is a gift from God. It reminds me of the work He continues to do in my life, as I grow in wisdom and grace. Even when I’m old and gray, God has a purpose for me to fulfill. When you find yourself facing a gray hair day, remember to look beyond the reflection of the mirror. Can you see the amazing miracle God is creating in you?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: God to give you the grace to share the joy in your heart, no matter what your age. You can be His witness to the world, even on a gray hair day!

____________________________
© Copyright 2006, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.