Sunday, April 25, 2010

Worthless things

Today’s Reading: Acts 14:14-15 NIV

14 But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard of this, they tore their clothes and rushed out into the crowd, shouting: 15 “Men, why are you doing this? We too are only men, human like you. We are bringing you Good News, telling you to turn from these worthless things to the Living God, who made heaven and earth and sea and everything in them.”

Good morning!

Sometimes I get sidetracked. I really don’t mean to lose my focus. And I could blame it on my aging brain cells, but that wouldn’t be true. I’ve gotten sidetracked before; it simply has more to do with my own human weaknesses than the number of years I’ve lived.

I got sidetracked last week in my daughter’s closet. I was putting some of Rachel’s shoes away when I spotted a great pair of sandals on the shoe rack. They were really cute, and I suddenly found myself wanting a pair of sandals just like hers. I think this is called “coveting” on the Lord’s Big Ten! So I followed my sinful heart to the nearest shoe stores in St. Charles County and began searching for a pair of sandals that looked just like Rachel’s. My mother brought me back to a stark reality when she raised the question, “Don’t you have enough shoes in your closet already?” Of course, she was right. Mothers are always right. I do have plenty of shoes to wear. I just don’t have Rachel’s shoes. So why did I need yet another pair of sandals to put in my closet? The reality is this: I need to stop focusing on something relatively worthless and reconnect with what is truly important.

We human types tend to waste precious time and money on worthless things that may bring a bit of joy at first, but give no lasting value to our lives. How many toys have you bought that ended up in a storage bin in your basement or on top of a closet shelf gathering dust? Who will remember or even care about your all-time high score on the online computer game you seem to be glued to at night, when you are no longer playing it? How important is that $500 designer suit hanging in your closet when your neighbor is living just down the street with no roof over their head and no bed to sleep in? We tend to get side-tracked easily, wasting our resources petty, worthless things.

The town witnessed an amazing miracle but missed meeting the miracle maker! They thought it was Paul and Barnabas, coming to them as gods. Paul and Barnabas didn’t cause the miracle healing to happen. Paul and Barnabas introduced the lame man to Jesus Christ; He is the only one with the power and authority to heal! I would say the folks got a little sidetracked, but it didn’t take them long to get back on track. And that is where I find myself today – refocusing my heart and mind on the things that are much more important than a new pair of sandals sitting on my closet shelf.

Let go of the worthless and cling to the only One who makes living worth while. Give your heart to Jesus Christ today! There is plenty of room at the foot of the cross for you. Please join me today as we confess our sins and worship the Lord at Faith Church. He can take the worthless stuff of our lives and make life worth living, if you will simply invite Him into your heart today.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2010, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles.

No comments: