Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Clean your room!

Today’s Reading: Acts 13:20b-21 NIV

20b [Paul said,] “After this, God gave them judges until the time of Samuel the prophet. 21 Then the people asked for a king, and he gave them Saul son of Kish, of the tribe of Benjamin, who ruled forty years.”

Good morning!

“Go clean your room!” I wish I had a nickel for every time I’ve given this instruction in the last thirty years. Between you and me, I am convinced this is a generational curse. “Why, Nanny? No one sees my room except me. Who cares if it is clean?” Suddenly and without warning, I begin to hear the voice of my mother gurgle up from inside my belly and resound like a clanging bell as her words begin to pour out of my mouth. “Go to your room right now. And while you are cleaning it, you may want to have a little talk with God. Did you not know that our heavenly Father not only sees the condition of your room; He knows the condition of your heart? And if you choose to listen to Him, Jesus will tell you all about the consequences of willful disobedience and why it is so very important to listen and obey.”

I can hear their grumbling all the way upstairs. The children are now in their rooms, tossing toys into containers, while spewing to God about how unfair it is that Nanny makes them clean it. It reminds me of all the times I’ve spent spewing to God and asking Him why. Thank God I had a mother who knew I needed to be prodded to enter into His throne room of grace. She never gave up on me. I know God hears and answers my every prayer; and yet, there were a few prayers I’ve prayed upstairs in my dirty little room that break my heart today. I pray words spoken in ignorance and self-righteous indignation have been removed from the Father’s memory as far as the east is from the west. Thank you, dear Jesus, for covering me, in spite of my own willful disobedience!

God’s people recognized their need for instruction, even though they didn’t like it. God sent judges to help direct the Israelites as they began to take hold of the Promise; and when the people demanded a king to lead them, God tried His best to talk them out of it. Nevertheless, a loving Father allows the disrespectful grumblings of His children. He sees and hears it all! Sometimes, God will give us exactly what we ask for, just to prove a point. What will it take to prepare our hardened hearts for the return of the Promised One? Do we really think we can muck it all out by ourselves?

Jesus is coming soon to bring us home. Are you packed and ready to go? Is your room in order? Have you checked in with your brothers and sisters, parents, grandparents, children and grandchildren? Are they looking up, listening for the trumpet sound announcing Christ’s return? We need to be about the business of cleaning our rooms. If you are concerned about the spiritual condition of a lost loved one, go into your room right now and ask for the supernatural intervention of the Holy Spirit. He can clean up the messes we make in an instant! Lives are forever changed through the power and presence of the Holy Spirit – He is a gift from our Lord Jesus Christ! Pray for all people, everywhere. Pray continually, at all times. Remember, the Lord sees the condition of your room; He knows your heart; and He hears your every prayer. Do not be afraid to prod a little. You can be your mother when it comes to spreading the Word! Go for it, in Jesus’ name.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2010, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles.

No comments: