Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Early Riser


Today’s Reading: Psalm 5:3 NIV

In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation.

Good morning!

Our pretty kitty, Faith, is an early riser! She cannot wait for Jeff and I to get up and spend time playing with her before work. Every morning, Faith begins to lick my face, letting me know she wants some love and affection. I’ve learned my place in Faith’s life. Faith lives here, and I am a just a border. She allows me live here, as long as I answer to her beck and call. There is no question in my mind who is boss around here.

When I was a child, my parents never allowed my sister and I to “sleep in.” We were up every morning at 6am when KMOX® radio would begin its programming with playing The Lord’s Prayer® and a John Phillips Sousa March. Mom and Dad were in a strict routine, firmly believing that the day begins before sun-up, and ends shortly after night-fall. I married a night owl. Jeff does his best work late at night. After 9pm, if I try to pick up a book and read, I fall asleep before I get through the first paragraph. Jeff loves to spend time with the Lord in the wee early morning hours, beginning at midnight and lasting often until 2am. About the time Jeff finally goes to sleep, I am beginning to wake up. It is a strange phenomenon; how our sleep schedules affect the way we approach living life.

Ever since I took a spill in my garage last fall, I’ve had trouble sleeping. Normally, I’m down for six hours, and awake fully refreshed and ready to begin a new day. It doesn’t seem to work that way for me anymore. I find myself needing cat naps at frequent intervals. Because I cannot lay flat for long periods of time, I’ve had to break up my sleep cycle. Sometimes, I find myself awake late at night, and often want to sleep in just a little bit later in the mornings. As a Christian adult, I’ve set aside the early morning hours to spend time with the Lord in prayer, praise, and study. There are times, especially since the fall, when I feel guilt over robbing God out of the first fruits of my day. I am convinced He does not appreciate my lack of focus on Him, not one little bit.

This morning, Faith woke me up. I got up for a moment, and when I went to crawl into bed, I lost my balance, hitting my head against the wall. Ironically, my head did not hurt nearly as much as my neck and shoulder. Sometimes it takes a lightning bolt to get my undivided attention. This was definitely a holy moment – a physical and mental message from God to get up and get moving. God used my pretty kitty to remind me of the importance of an early morning talk with Him. After all, He is the Only One who gives me fresh breath and a brand new life to live each day.

Why waste another minute this morning? I invite you to come and enjoy the early morning hours with the Lord. He hears our voices and answers our prayers, as we wait with great anticipation and hope.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2010, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles.

No comments: